Possible buy... Greek Tortoise, help?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by kyryah, Jan 16, 2008.

1. kyryah

kyryah Embryo

I don't usually buy any thing other than fish from big pet stores, but I was at Petsmart today
    and fell in love with a little Greek tortoise. I am seriously
    considering bringing it home, it was very active, healthy looking and
    well socialized. Let me handle it's whole little body. Got to see it munch on some greens, although it looked suspiciously like iceburg.

I am not all that familiar with Greeks, although I have experience
    with other tortoises, mainly Gophers and Redfoots.and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and can give me tips. How similar are thier diets/habits to Gophers? I read to feed mainly roughage, low protien and low fat to prevent renal failure.

I understand that they stay relatively small? Like between 8 and 10 inches? Is this "healthy" size, or "if you put it in a little tank it won't get very big" size? Grrr, I hate that stuff....

It has been years since I have had a tortoise, and I want to know what the "new" best heat/UVA/UVB products are out there. :D

All set with a UTH and hygrometer/thermometer.

From what I understand the main of their diet needs to be roughage,
    and they prefer low humidity. Because of this and because of the whole bedding eating part of tortoise owning :) I am thinking that I am going to use alfalfa pellets as bedding.... I get these for my horses anyway, so wouldn't be a cost issue. In fact I pay probably a tenth per ound of what rabbit pellets cost, lol.

Thanks!
    Kristina

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. virala

virala Embryo

I have a greek tortoise which is 26cm long now, generally females are larger than males. She proved that too by laying an egg for me a day before my holiday. Talk about bad timing! It's good that you have had some experience with chelonia because that helps with the whole sorting out the heating, UV problems! Ihave never used alfalfa pellets before I use 50/50 topsoil and kids playsand mixed together. For heatingand UV I use a UV and Heating combined amp called Powersun 100w. But bear in mind this is for a glass house where my big guys live. For a tortoise table I use a ceramic heatlamp. Taking on these time consuming and complicated pets takes a lot of ime and consideration however and shouldn't be an impulse buy. Ever! Here is a great forum which can help you alot: www.shelledwarriors.co.uk. If you are prepared to buy the toroise from the pet shop ask a member of staff wherethe tortoises have come from because for all we know they could have been an illegal import during which many tortoises sadly die. So if this is the case then I recommend you go to a breeder instead of petshop. Wow! Look how much I have managed to blab on about! I hope it helps!