Possible Gecko (cont.)

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by ikermalli, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

**Luke reminisces of when his parents first said he couldnt get a snake**

NOW HE'S HAD ABOUT 8 :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

lol, i know how you feel luke. the first 15 years of my life i begged for a lizard with the answer always the same, untill my friend moved awaqy and had to get rid of her beardy ^.^ now have 4 lizards and loads of other cold blooded cuties

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Isn't persuasion just great.

ikermali, don't give up. Even if the answer is still no for now, you can still carry on your research, then the day you are able to get a leo, you will be really clued up :wink:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Shanna66

oh its just wonderful

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

To my parents persuasion is being "greedy" and "wanting everything"

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ikermalli

I also forgot to say that he said no because there are cerain animals my religion doesn't like us to keep. he said lizards are one but when I did some research it is SALAMANDERS not lizards so i am happy about that. I am going to tell him about that

12. Shanna66

what religion is that?

13. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Just wanted to stop in to point out that leopard geckos are GECKOS. Thankfully for you that means they aren't lizards or salamanders. In any event, sorry to hear that you aren't allowed to get one. It seems like you put forth a reasonable attempt, but there's not much you can do if they've said no. Just remind yourself that one day you'll have your own place and can have what you want to have. :)

14. ikermalli

I am a muslim. There are different things that happened throughout history that bans certain things, we are not allowed to keep dogs, snakes and we aren't allowed to eat pig etc. There is a lot of stuff we cannot do. Yeah I know one day I will have my own place but that'll probably be in like 7-10 years

15. Shanna66

wow, learn something new everyday.
    well, when you do have your own place you will be able to fill it up with all kinds of things
    and Fiche, arent geckos a type of lizard?

16. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

ikermalli, I decided to do a bit more research about the animal issue in your religion, since I am not too familiar with it. I'm not sure how your family chooses to practice your religion, but from what I've read.. not only can you not own geckos but they are specifically listed on the "kill on sight" list. They actually can (and are) even eliminated if found in Mecca. At least that's what I've read.

Shanna, geckos and lizards are actually different. This site has an interesting chart to look at... http://www.diffen.com/difference/Gecko_vs_Lizard

17. jwurm

jwurm New Member

Fiche, that is an exact quote from the site you linked to...

Let me clear up some confusion among the ranks:
    Sometimes, within the scientific naming process, a group of animals are given a general name while somewhere within that group is a smaller group of animals that are labeled as "true" individuals of that group. Hence, geckos are lizards, but within the lizard group there are "true" lizards. The same is true with certain insects that are beetles and within the beetle group, there are certain "true" beetles.

Therefore, geckos are lizards, but not true lizards.

Does that help any?

18. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for straightening me out jwurm. I apologize for my misinformation and should have read and thought more carefully. It certainly clears things up for me. :p

19. ikermalli

Re: RE: Possible Gecko (cont.)

I decided to do a bit more research on what you said. I follow the Shia Ithna/ Shi'ite part of Islam but I read on this site where muslim scholars answer the questions that salamanders are to be killed on site not lizards

20. Shanna66

RE: Re: RE: Possible Gecko (cont.)

you should also try asking other members of your religion.

@ jwurm
    ok i think i get it a bit

21. ikermalli

I did, I sent an e-mail to the man with the highest rank in our religion that is not a prophet or imam. His name is Ayatollah Sustani. I am still waiting on a response.

22. Shanna66

lets hope he replies soon ^.^ im very curious about the answer

23. ikermalli

he still hasn't responded :) But I am going to ask for a leo for my birthday I KNOW that my parents cave in on my birthday

24. ikermalli

Some people who have kept leos for a long time say that if you have an adult it is okay to use fine grain/ soft calci sand. Is this true?

25. jwurm

jwurm New Member

ikermalli: I would think it isn't worth the risk of impaction. Repti-carpet or even paper towels are much cheaper and easier to clean in my opinion.