Possible Gecko

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by ikermalli, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

Yeah that was what i was thinking. I though I could get the measurement then where he decides to use as the washroom will be covered in paper towel. If I get the tiles exactly cut to the tank how do I take them out?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Just lift them out when its cleaning time.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ikermalli

But how will I get my finger in there to take it out if it is exactly cut then there should be no opening

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mallyg

mallyg New Member

i use tweezers like the ones women use for their eyebrows just lift corner then u can grab to take out to clean.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ikermalli

oh, okay, well my dad just got mad at me and said he doesn't want animals in the house he said he let me get fish and that is enough... :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

Wow, that stinks. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you had your heart set on a leo too :D

12. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Yeah, that's unfortunate. However, next time you'll be ahead of it all!

13. ikermalli

I am still going to ask and beg and stuff, I know he will crack. I just need to see why he says no and then take it into perspective then make a compromise with him(< got that from the 7 habits of highly effective teens)... or beg.

14. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

Well, to be honest, a leopard gecko would be a whole lot easier to take care of than a fish tank. I've kept both and the Leo requires MUCH less maintenance and care. Plus if for any reason the tank would get a crack (most likely it won't, but hypothetically speaking), 20 gallons of water looks like 2000 when it's on your floor :shock:

15. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

leos are much less work than fish, and more fun in alot of cases. you can take a gecko out o play with it or whatever. good luck getting him to change his mind

16. ikermalli

I am not sure where the whole other page of comments went but I am getting a leopard gecko! His tail is regenerated but he is really nice! You can see him at www.celebritygeckos.com then go to available starts and his name is Ozzy. How am I supposed to feed him during march break?

17. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

We have an adult and a "sub-adult" that was a baby 2 months ago! We adopted both at the same time. We use non-adhesive shelf liner ($5 a roll at Wal-Mart...) and LOVE it. It is super easy to clean- wash it in the tub, dry it off, and back in the cage it goes... We just had under the tank heaters, and the leos were okay, but we were concerned that they were not feeding appropriately so we also added a daylight bulb above the cage during the daytime so they could get used to an appropriate daylight/nighttime schedule, which is important simce they are nocturnal... We made a humid hide out of a Cool-Whip container and moss... tank is small, so we have one more log hide that covers part of the warm side and part of the cool. Bowl of water, bowl of calcium dust, and bowl of worms (butter and mealworms, mainly. Phoenix some.), and small crickets. After the initial investment, not much in the way of cost except feeders and replacement calcium and bulbs when out or they burn out. My son is 11 and takes good care of them- I rarely have to step in and help with anything. They are very sweet, interesting creatures and I am glad we adopted them! Good luck!

18. ikermalli

thanks for that! I think I will use non-adhesive shelf liner but most people say it is unnecessary to get a light bulb if your geckos tank is getting enough light. If I need to then I might put the lamp I have on top of the enclosure but do I need a light at night and also How am I supposed to feed him during march break?

19. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

Wow, great to hear that you were able to talk your dad into allowing you to get a leo. I'm sure you've gotten enough info to be able to care for it well :)

20. ikermalli

Actually he is only letting me get a leo because I got him a client. The breeder I am getting the free gecko from couldn't ship to Canada so now my dad is shipping for him to Canada,USA and Europe so the breeder said thanks for your services and I would like to give you a free gecko and my dad said okay since I got him a client :)

21. ikermalli

The gecko is about 5 months old, will he be okay if I am away for 11 days and there is no one home to feed him?

22. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Congrats ikermalli. I'm glad to hear you'll be getting a leo. It sounds like you've been doing your research for a while. Try to set everything up before Ozzy shows up though. Just to make sure it all works well. :)

As for your question about feeding him during march break, I'm not sure what you mean. Will you be away from home for a week? If you are going to be away you should have someone stop in and give him fresh water at least once or twice while you are gone. Have that person refill food if needed, clean out poop, and just eyeball him to see that he's doing alright on his own. If I misunderstood the question just let me know.

23. ikermalli

Thank you and you understood the question correctly. Yes I will be away for 11 days and I am not sure if any can come into my house and give some freshwater to him. Someone suggested I give him to a vet to keep for the 11 days that I am gone for. I can give him to my cousin for a bit but he will handle him too much. I think my best friend would be able to do it for me but I would have to teach him how. Would it be okay if he only feeds him once or twice and puts new water every day because I know he hates worms and I will put an extra piece of paper towel in the "poo spot" so that he only has to take it out and put in another one. How does that sound?

24. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Ideally you would be home all the time, but we can't all do that. :) As long as your friend understands what he needs to do and you trust him to get the job done then your plan should work. I would just add that your friend will want to re-wet the moist hide every few days, and check on the temperatures.

25. ikermalli

alright, I will give him a spray bottle for that. Oh and could you tell me if I am missing something in this setup

Sterilite Container (large size)
    UTH
    Calcium
    Calcium+D3
    Multi-Vitamins
    Substrate (shelf liner)
    Food
    In-Line Dimmer Switch
    Hides (3)
    Sphagnum Moss/ Paper Towels

I have a feeling I am missing something

Thread Status: