Possible Gecko

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by ikermalli, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

It sounds like you have a good start. Just a few things to add:

- Digital thermometer with a probe
    - Some type of screened lid for the container
    - Dishes of course for food, water, and calcium

Also...

*Be sure that the shelf liner is Non-adhesive. The glue from the adhesive liner will let off fumes.

*Personal preference but I would go with a thermostat instead of the in-line dimmer switch. The dimmer switch will likely mean constant adjustments (which can't be done while you're away). In my experience a thermostat doesn't need to be changed once it is initially set.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

What about a rheosat? Will there be a screened lid for a container? Yeah the dishes I am going to make myself and thanks for reminding me about the thermometer

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

To the best of my understanding a rheostat is basically the same thing as an in-line dimmer. At the very least you will encounter the same difficulties with needing to adjust it often. It's more money for the thermostat but it's well worth it in my opinion. Also, the sterilite tub will probably just come with a normal sterilite lid. You will need to cut out a portion of the lid and put in screening. You'll also want to drill some holes around the container for proper ventilation.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ikermalli

Isn't a thermostat like 50 bucks? The petsmart site doesn't have them. Should I just get a ten gallon tank and put a normal mesh lid on it or is the container better? I found one for 31.99 that is made by ESU is that a good brand? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?...ly&keepsr=1

Instead of putting mesh can I just use a soldering gun and put in 80 holes? I think I may be able to get one with the holes already in but I am not 100% sure about that...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ikermalli

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

My a-life 1000 thermostat looks very much like the one in the picture. I received it as a birthday gift, so I don't know which site it was ordered from, or how much it cost. It works wonderfully though.

I don't see any dimentions for the plastic boxes, so I can't answer that question.

12. ikermalli

Yeah that was what I was thinking but I thought somebody might have had one. Where could I buy a big container with a lid with holes in it?

13. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

- I think I have the same a-life thermostat as LittleLouie and it looks almost exactly like that ESU one that you linked. I bought mine for something like $32. So I think the one you linked should be just fine.

- The critter totes you linked are no where near large enough to be a permanent home. A 10 gallon tank isn't even large enough for a grown or growing leo. You want a MINIMUM floorspace of 30" x 12". More is better though. If you're looking for the ideal option I would buy a 20 gallon long tank. It will be more expensive than one of those totes or a plastic container from a store, but it looks nice and makes an appropriate permanent home.

Of course, if you can find a plastic container that has the floorspace of 30" x 12" then go for it. I think sterilite and rubbermaid to make some rather large containers. Also, a soldering iron would work just fine to put holes in the lid and the sides of the container. You would want to make a ton of holes though so just take the time and make sure the edges around the holes aren't too sharp.

14. ikermalli

alright, I haven't the space for a 20 Gallon long UNLESS I move my 20G to the outside hallway and get myself a 20 Gallon long from a big als near me that is probably used...

15. ikermalli

16. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I would personally go with the long tank in the last offer. The chameleon tank in the first offer isn't the best type of tank for a leo. The second deal for the starter tank and stand is nice but for $100 you would still want to buy a heat pad and you would now have a stand that you would need to find room for. With the last offer you only need to pay $50 and you get an appropriately sized tank, a lid, a heat pad, and no extra junk. I use an exo-terra heat pad on my tank now and had to pay nearly 50 just for the heat pad itself, so I think that's a killer deal too.

17. ataber

ataber New Member

honestly i would recommend asking michael what he suggests since you're getting the lil guy from him. he knows what he's doing and if you have your setup similar to his it will make the adjustment for the leo alot easier.

when asking for setup help and the like you are always going to get varying opinions people do what works for them and i think you're going to have to figure out what will work best for you.

personally i feel a 10g is fine for a leo unless its on the bigger side. as for the sterilite containers ive been able to maintain mine in these setups for quite a while with just melting holes around sides havent seen the need for a screen top(i do open them pretty much daily for handling and feeding tho so i guess that allows extra ventilation). with the dimmer or rheostat you will have to make adjustments but if you keep them in a pretty well temp regulated room then you wont need to adjust it much, but thermostats are easier yea.

how much space do you have for a cage? that might help people make suggestions.

18. ikermalli

Michael uses 28-32 qt containers, that is what I was going to use and I have 6.5 feet of space to use but I can only use about 4.5-5 max. I was thinking about the 20G long as it has enough space and comes with all the stuff. All I would have to do would be move my fish tank to another location but I have like 16 fish in there so it may be a problem because everything will go everywhere because I have no place to put all 16 fish. I was going to sell them and my fish tank and stand in the classifieds but I am not sure anymore. Does Big Al's buy tanks? I know they will buy your fish from you...

19. ikermalli

I think I will get a 20G long. I just need to move my fish outta my room.

20. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Good luck with the fish move. I hope it isn't too stressful for them. Let us know how things work out with the new tank.

21. ikermalli

I think it will be pretty smooth. But I am not sure if I am allowed to get the 20G i might have to get a 10 Gallon tank if I dont have space

22. ikermalli

I just thought about this now but if I have my light on during the day for the tank and at night I turn it off, what happens when i turn on my light to use the computer? Will it mess up his sleep cycle? Also do I need a red light for night time?

23. ikermalli

Okay so I know I asked this a billion times already (okay like 5) but will a ten gallon be good enough for a permanent home? I am pretty sure I will only use the ten for 3-4 months then will upgrade but I just want to be 100% sure

24. ikermalli

Oh and the 20 Gallon that I inquired about is already sold :(

25. ataber

ataber New Member

yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.