Possibly Starting Again.

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Tbar, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Tbar

Tbar Embryo

Hello everyone,

I had a Veiled Chameleon - assuming a female - around 4 - 5 years ago. I had her for about 3-4 years, and she did quite well. I went away from the reptile hobby for a bit, and had a collard lizard before her, but I was thinking of possibly getting back into it. Now a few things:
    1. I spent a TON of money on my newest seahorses, so I would like to go the cheapest route, but still give my pet a great home.
    2. I have many supplies, but I will have to brush up on a few things, and I am sure many things have changed in the chameleon hobby in the past few years.
    3. Nutrition is my biggest concern, I think my past chameleon was lacking in calcium, but I did not know much more about it than that - I was about 12 years old, but I had read and done extensive research with my parents and they helped me a bit.

Overall, I think my past experience was good, and I would like to try it again. I was thinking about going a different direction this time however.
    I was thinking to minimize cost on a cage and housing supplies (I have a mesh cage from my other chameleon, I believe it is about 30 some gallons, 28 x 15 x 28 (in). It is the dark netting kind with the zipper sides. I believe the mesh cage is too small for a male Panther or Veiled chameleon right?) I was thinking about keeping my chameleon "free range" type of thing. We have a ficus tree in our house which is well over 14 years old, and I was thinking it would be the perfect place. Does anyone here keep their chameleons out of a cage? It is in a very low traffic area, in the dining room in a corner. Would this be a viable option for a Panther or Veiled chameleon? It is about 5 feet high, and 4 feet wide. The only concern I have with the ficus tree is that the branches that spread away from the trunk, are pretty thin and I don't think it would hold the chameleon very well, however, people do use them in their cages so what do you think?

I would prefer a panther chameleon this time because of their stunning colors. Do they get much cheaper than the ones Screamingchameleons.com sells them for?

I have a basking clip on lamp - lamp clip is not on and I have never knew how to put it on so maybe you guys could help me on that one. I also have numerous flourescent lamp fixtures that I can fit bulbs into from my many aquarium projects.

Have any new foods become available other than crickets and mealworms etc.? I was never to fond of the crickets but I guess you got to do what you got to do. I know gutloading is a good idea, but I think vitamins and enrichments seem nice as well? Which do you suggest?

This is just an idea, and unless I can go into it pretty cheaply and with confidence will I do it. If you could just kind of let me know how well my setup would work, it would be nice. Just kind of a critique type of thing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Sorry for the long post. Also, it is a bit disorganized but it is late. Sorry, if you need any rewriting or clarification, let me know.

Edit - dimentions were off... but all is well now

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Heika

Heika Moderator

Hey Marc..

There are definately problems with clamp lamp UVB.. there is an article in here somewhere. If you are sure you want to do the freerange thing, things to consider are:

How you will provide hydration
    Mounting a strip florescent light close enough that your animal benefits from the UVB it puts out
    Making sure your chameleon is secure

Gutloading is, in my opinion, one of those crucial things. Dusting and supplementation is important, but not nearly as much as a good gutload. Crickets, roaches, superworms, wax worms, butterworms, hornworms, silkworms.. there are more feeders than that easily available now.

I believe you are referring to screameleons.com. They have nice panther chameleons, and that counts for a lot. Getting a healthy animal will save you money in the long run. There are less expensive breeders out there, but buying from a good, reputible breeder saves heartache in the long run.

There isn't much about keeping chameleons that is cheap. The animal is expensive, the lighting, the food, the misting systems, etc. Everything is expensive about these animals. Vet bills are outrageous. The only thing that freeranging will accomplish is eliminating the need for a cage, which is really only a small amount of money in comparison with everything else. You can buy a nice screened cage for about a hundred dollars shipped that will house a veiled or panther adult quite nicely. Or, you could build a cage for less than that. I have not done the freerange thing.. it would be a pain to keep feeders available for my animals, and I have too many other furry friends that would willingly pluck off a chameleon. Plus, chameleons will travel. I am not sure any healthy, self respecting chameleon would stay put on your ficus. Mine tend to go for broke when they are given the opportunity.. they end up in the strangest locations.

Heika

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tbar

Tbar Embryo

Ok thanks Heika,

I will see what I want to do. I have a lot more reading to take care of, and I appreciate your advice.

Marc

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Gourami_Swami

Gourami_Swami New Member

I think A ficus tree would be an acceptable home for one with some modifiations. I dont think the cham will stay put, so if you put the ficus in a thin, clear plastic box about 18" tall, and with about 20" from the plant to the box fromany side, so the cham cannot climb out any way, it may work. Just be sure he cant get out of the little box or off the ficus.

Also, mounting a Misting system/fogger on or above the plant would be a good way to get the humidity. You could also plug a humidifier in below the plant but it may be harder to do.

I actually think having one free range is an awesome idea.