Power Demand?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by 7eubanks, Dec 1, 2013.

1. 7eubanks

7eubanks Embryo

Okay, so I built a custom tank stand with built in lighting.

I have it all built, painted, sealed, and "off-aired"; I have now started on the electrical portion of this.
    I have 7 light bulbs (only 5 plugs) (ranging from 25w to 60w), a filter and heater for my aquarium, and an UTH for my corn snake. My initial plan was to plug all of the lights into a power strip that was plugged into a timer that is plugged into another power strip that is then plugged into the wall, and to have my "continuous" items plugged into the second power strip as well (does that make any sense???). After some googling I am now concerned with the fire safety of this plan. The tanks have to stay in the living room and there are only two available wall outlets, one of which has the "media" power strip plugged in (TV, Cable, Xbox, Router etc) the other has the battery back up for the home security screwed into it. So plugging in each power strip individually is not an option without an electrician.

Any ideas on what my power demand is going to be? and if it is safe to string the power strips together?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Hm. Ok. This is an interesting one.
    First, I do NOT recommend plugging in a strip to a strip, that is definitely a fire hazard but we may be able to figure something out... Do you happen to know the amp rating on the fuse that that system is hooked up to? Do you know how many physical outlets are in that circuit? With those answers I should be able to figure something out but I would need to know that basic info 1st.