Pre Snake Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by LittleMick, Oct 6, 2009.

1. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

Hi, I have already got my pre equipment buying advice from you guys/gals, so thanks for that. I wondered if you could spare some time for more advice on buying the snake. Aplogies for the length of the post, but considering the lifespan of Corns, this will be a big decision. I also posted n another forum for advice so if you have spotted my post their sowweee!!! :(

Some of you may have read that I might get a free Corn round December time. But I may not yet, I'm trying to get hold of photos of the parents to help me decide whether to take one. Or might just get too excited and buy one before then. Now, if I buy one it will be October/November time. But I have a couple of questions if you would please.

SNAKE SIZE -I'm looking to get a Corn that would reach an eventual size or 4-5+ ft, so what sort of Corn should I be looking for. In general, all teh Corn snake books/caresheets just give a size of 3-5ft, I have also read that the more south you go the smaller the snake, so Florida/Florida Keys snakes are roughly 3ft where as snakes from the Carolinas are about 5ft. So, is that really the only guide I can go by? I do realise that breeding of different snakes could affect this and also feeding frequency, but I really wouls like and initial guidance.

WHAT PHASE/MORPH - Initially I was looking at either an Okeetee or a Common/Normal phase, I like the standard Red, Ornage and Black colouration, and preferably an Okeetee as they are supposed to be brighter. I also liked the Fire Amel but I read they are supposed to be problematic feeders, would this be genetic, would I still have this problem from a hatchling? Amoungst others at the loacl RC, they also have a Pewter, from the pics I have seen they look gorgeous, it's about £195 so I think it's an adult.

PRE BUY HEALTH/FEEDING CHECK - I'm aware of the health checks to do when buying, but one thing that concerns me is checking whether the snake is feeding. From the books I have read they recommend to ask to see it befeed before you buy. So, would I best go into the RC, look at one I am interested in, then find out when it's due for ait's next feed and go in to watch it? If it is feeding ok would it be ok to transport it there and then once purchased? I should I still leave it for a couple days to digest? Leaving it for a couple of days concerns me as they might not give me the one I pay for (I am a very untrusting person, lol).

ORDERING ONLINE -A ? about ordering livestock online, while my local RC has a wide variety of Corns ranging from £40 - £300, I have spotted a couple of nice ones online, but I'm abit concerned about ordering livestock via a website, you can't check the health and you can't directly choose the specimen you want? The website was 888 Reptiles, but their pics are blurred. But they do have some Morphs I am interested in for good prices.

Well that's all for now, again sorry for the long post.

Kind regards
    Mick

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Well Not not going to reply to all of this as to much is your personal choice and tast.

however
    as far and the health goes. Yes ask when the next feeding it, and watch it eat. Corn snakes have harty appitites and unless shedding or a health issue I have very rarely seen corns not eat.

Next ifyou can go to the seller and ask to handle the snake. Feel it it is nice and warm and moving about and investigating you. Or it is cold and sluggish. I have seen sellers keep aggressive snakes too cold, you hold them and they just lay there nice like. Than you take them home and warm it up and have a little demon on your hands.

Online ordering.... best thing to do is find out all the guarantees/ warentee they have. Does the selller have a returne policy on dead on arivial, do they have a X number of day that the animal is guarenteed healthy. Once you find a seller do a google search and see if there are much inthe way of negitive feedback about that seller.
    I did a bit of lookin gin to 888reptile, with a small amount of negitive feedback. But for the majority most people have good things to say about they'r animals and service.