prices for WD with all the cage requirements ect.

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by hyun, Mar 16, 2006.

1. hyun

hyun New Member

How much are baby CWD with all the cage requirements such as lighting and climbing areas ect.?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

well i bought my baby water dragon for $29.99can ,topsoil $5.00,a ceramic heat emmiter for about 23.99 plus another $20.00 ,a day basking light about 30.00 cuz youll need a fixture a nice big water dish with a water filter another $20.00to$30.00depending on size some foliage like leaves and vines for hime to climb $10.00 to how ever much you wnt to decorate it . now if you decide you want to use uv lihgts with are the long tube lightthere like $25.00
    so your looking at about $180.00 before tax and that not even including the tank witch will be about 100.00 to 200.00 depending on what you do whether it be a glass tank or a custom built tank its very expenve to get these dragon set up but i spent almost triple tht for my monitor and double for chameleon so it get kinda costy hope my information has helped you thanx

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. frozenlava

frozenlava New Member

i just moved my WD into her permanent enclosure, and all in all, it's probably cost me around $400... Around $150 for the plywood (maple veneered, 2 sheets), stain and sealer, $80 for the MV bulb and fixture, another $20 for the CHE, as well as other assorted products like pond pump and filter, bend-a-vine, thermometers and hygrometers, cage accessories and the like, plus 50 for Tarzan herself. However, these costs were spread out over 6 months, she was in a borrowed aquarium since I got her, while I build her new cage.

At minimum you need a fairly large tank (~50 Gal) to start, but you'll eventually need to move them into something larger, usually custom made for a CWD, since they're arboreal. Mine is 4'Wx4'Tx2'D, although I would have liked to go taller, it just wasn't possible.

For the record, though, you can make the enclosure fairly cheap with standard spruce plywood and 2x4's (plywood around 20$ per 4x8 sheet) with a piece of glass as door in front, probably cheaper (and a hell of a lot bigger) than a tank.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JSix

JSix Embryo

The price up I have done for a Water Dragon is £550 which may seem alot but if you want a happy dragon Money is not an object. I just want a nice big viv with lots of space for him/her to roam around in and be happy.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hyun

hyun New Member

:shock: jeez they are expensive :shock:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. cwddude

cwddude New Member

That is what you get when you buy an "exotic" animal.

12. madmouse

madmouse New Member

the pet store near me wants 170 just for the wd.
    hes about a foot long maybe 16in at best, i know the bigger they are the more they cost but man yall said yall are geting them for 50$. my petstor must be out of their mind lol

13. JSix

JSix Embryo

Expensive Hobby my friend. Specially if you end up collecting Reptiles and Amphibians. I currently have a small collection from a Leopard Gecko, Bearded Dragon (Most expensive to keep) and my 5 Poison Dart Frogs.
    Water Dragons are the cheap bit...well can be. The price in the UK is around £40. The Vivarium alone because of the space is £300 (6ftWx4ftHx2ftD) and then theres the heating and lighting and you will be suprised how much is spent on decorating the viv making it look a nice cosy home for the Dragon.

14. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

i also have a nice collection ihave 1 male bearded dragon cost $275 can
    a male veiled chameleon 3 baby ones to , a savanah$75.00cb which is the most expensive to keep cuz the amount they eat and what they eat ,one 6foot ignauna wich is my fav i call him ziggy he is pretty cheap to feed since its all greens and my cwd's not to sure if their male or female but if you want any pic ill be more than happy to email you my lizard and their set ups
    they only cheap exotics to buy are tarantulas and they even get pricy when you start buying nice one i have 8 different kind of them and they are cheaper to feed them then the lizards for sure pm aand i have to email them i cant figure out a way of making them smaller once i load them into my comp but their still nice pics

15. insomniac

insomniac New Member

I think my cheapest exotics are definitley the snakes merely because I can get rabbits/mice in bulk for a good price and they don't require UV. The Waterdragons are the most expensive, definitley, although everyone is pretty expensive in the long run... my collection includes 1 whites tree frog, 1 marbled gecko, 2 leopard geckos, 3 green anoles, 2 bahaman anole, 1 house gecko, 2 chinese water dragons, 1 red tail boa, 1 ball python, 1 tiger legged wax monkey treefrog, 2 red banded rubber frogs, 1 bullfrog, 1 mali uromastyx, 1 rose hair tarantula, 1 warty newt, 1 american toad, 1 japanese firebelly newt, 2 tiger salamanders and 1 green tree frog.

16. xTBx

xTBx New Member

Lets see.... (most prices are slightly over estimated)
    $35 for a baby
    ~$100 for a fogger/pump/waterfall (which is optional)
    $50 for 2 light fixtures
    $35 for UVB and heating light
    $30 for other stuff
    $15 for 18"x18"x18" aquarium (on clearance when a local store got rid of their fish)

So it's about $300 cdn to go all out and get everything you need

17. hyun

hyun New Member

k thnx

18. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

yeah but what xtbx forgot to say was that it will grow out of that 18"x18"x18" and then if you counld't afford a cwd before what happends when they need to get a new and much bigger tank ............just saying to put some thought in it
    don't want to have to sell when it gets bigger

19. WTR_DRGN_MASTER

WTR_DRGN_MASTER New Member

my friend gave me an estimate for mine and it was about 400 dollars.

20. JSix

JSix Embryo

I Still think even though you guys are in america and I am in the UK you should be looking at about $800 for a perfect set up. I would NEVER do things by halves. why get a small aquarium tank that measures 18in by 2foot or whatever for £30 when in about 2months or less your going to need a bigger viv? Save up a bit and go the whole hog. Get the full size 6foot by 4 foot by 2 foot (WxHxD) and then just keep the baby in there? You could always partition it until they grow.
    I do not have a water dragon but I do keep Bearded Dragons and its one thing I have learnt doing it by halfs only costs you more in the long run and you could have a sad Dragon at the end of it if you cannot afford the bigger viv when he needs it.

Save those extra few weeks or months and get it all perfect before getting the baby.

21. xTBx

xTBx New Member

I was just giving an estimate for a baby/juvie dragon. You could just go straight to a large enclosure, mine was 76"x36"x36" and it cost me well under $300 cdn. Plus, if i really wanted to i could add on an extra 48" (length or width) for like $50 or less.

22. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

worth every penny though B)

23. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

I must be really lucky - I have just got a breeding trio of Wd's and their 6x3x3 full set up for under £200 :D

I am going to get them another flexarium as this has been the best way to prevent nose rub so far which will cost me mabybe £60 to £80 and I already have lots of spare equip to kit it out.

Can you maybe put up some pics fo the enclosures you speak of too :)

24. punkshoo

punkshoo Embryo

I live in america and I have a relatively nice setup imho. I have a 5x4x2 enclosure with live plants, a pond w/ filter, 2 basking spots, a uvb fixture w/ bulb, soil/sand substrate covered in moss, complete inner rock wall. You can find CWDs for roughly $10 at any reptile show. As for my setup... Wood and building materials: ~$100; glass: $40; lighting and fixtures (track lighting): ~$80; pond and substrate: ~$15; grout and foam for wall: Free (you can usually find leftover foam at construction sites and grout is like $5 a bag but my grandfather had a few bags spare); filter: $11; live/fake plants: ~$30. So all in all it cost me about ~$300 for my 2 original CWDs and full setup. You also have to concider the $30 a month youll be dropping on crickets and the increase in electric bill. Anyhow, as you see this comes nowhere near $800. I could build a small building for $800 to house them in. The sheds my grandfather and I build only cost ~$600 to build and theyre 10x10x10 (only not a box o_O). Cant wait til I have a house to build something like that for them!

25. RyuTheBeardie

RyuTheBeardie New Member

i got a 20 gall long tank for mine./