Prince Edward County, Ontario Ban

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by i_i_herpetile, Jul 9, 2007.

1. i_i_herpetile

i_i_herpetile Embryo

Hello all, new to forum.

i realize herptile is not spelt with another e like my name... i have just always had that spelling mistake in user names...

Recently "we" have passed a complete exotic pet ban in our County (this means no more boas and pythons). Don't get me wrong, I am all for legislation when it comes to reptiles and amphibians as some people do not take the time to learn about their pets, but a complete ban is ignorance. I live in Canada, here we have and have had a National Law against exibiting or owning a raptor as a private citizen but now they have also put that in our county ban, just goes to show yoyu how little they know about our hobby. Some of the animals other they Herps on the list including Coyotes, Raccoons, and "Venomous" spiders... HELLO! all spiders our venomous, this means that we now have a by law preventing us from keeping any spiders in our home... :( Thank you for protecting us guys.

The thing that bothers me the most is why this all started. Aparently, we had a Gentlemen living in the county who had a cougar, he was walking this cougar up and down a cottage road and someone complained. First of all we are an aging community, and most people are stuck in there ways, it was so easy for them to turn around and ban anything they thought might be dangerous. What makes me mad is that they took no time to think about this, they have stopped me from housing my 2.5 foot Sand Boa yes... but I can still keep my 5 foot Yellow Rat in any enclosure I want... does this make sense?

You may have read all this and thought hey thats cool... but what does that mean for me. What I hope to give you is some advise. If you don't have any regulations against exotic animals in your area I would suggest you advise to have it done but make sure that in your suggestions you say that the legislation is to prevent people from housing animals in such a way that they can harm anyone. If you don't do anything, like in my case, you get a total ignorant ban. Suggest species, ask proffesionals for help, make up a proposal that will maybe take a small stab to your collection but prevents you from having to euthenize all you species in 60 days

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. treeafodo

treeafodo Member

here in windsor( where i live) like 30 years ago(when my mom was a kid) you were allowed to have alligators and all kinds of stuff like that, any retile,amphiban you wanted, but people thought it would be funny to flush there alligators down the sewer, so they banned all reptiles in our city because a few dumb people, im not sure if in windsor if it's illegal to have reptiles, or sell them, but like 5 minutes away they have a huge reptile shop in techumseh( a samll town) like come on ( like you said what about our hobby)stupid people now a days

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. catalyst

catalyst New Member

I'm also in Windsor. It is crazy that exotics are banned in city limits, but you only have to go to one of the small towns that are right outside the city limits to buy a wide variety of reptiles. Most of the petstores in the city carry reptile supplies even though they can't carry the animals themselves, and it's common knowledge that a lot of people in the city own herps. On the one hand I'm glad that I don't have to see neglected lizards when I go into the local petshops, but at the same time it seems more than a little silly to me that harmless creatures like geckos and bearded dragons are technically illegal in the city.