Problem Pinkies

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Karlee, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Karlee

Karlee Member

Ok, so I was thawing a f/t pinky mouse, it was fully thawed and warmed up. I gave it to Kamau and he immeadiantly lashed out and coiled it, but there was a problem. The mouse literally popped (luckily, I fed him in a clear, plastic storage container so it was easy clean up) and it wasnt too fun fighting him for what remained (in the end I had to use a spray bottle to release his grip). I tried to feed him another a few days later, and the exact same thing happened (he ended up biting me the second time I had to fight him for the pinky). I leave the pinkies out over night in a zip lock bag, then I dip it in warm water, then into almost boiling water (not boiling, but it was at the brink of boiling). Is something wrong with how I thaw them or is it the pinky mice themselves? Does ANY ONE know how to fix this problem because it is becomeing a pest to deal with.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

lol! I can't tell you ho many times I have had this problem! My solution was just to not cook it so long. I just put it in the water for a little less time and it worked perfectly! It wasn't "hot", of course, but mine will eat it if its still frozen so it didn't rally matter! :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

Thanks, hopefully I dont need to have my spray bottle on hand next time i feed him

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Are you keeping the pinky in the bag when it is submerged in water to warm up or do you put the pinkie itself in the water? Keep it in the baggie if you are not already doing so

The rodent should always be offered Dry and Warm... it will also help to maintain the ingegrity of the rodent as submerging in water can easily overcook it. Were the internal contents hot after they broke out?

I always let them thaw in the fridge overnight, allow them to sit out at room temp in the snake room for an hour or two, then place them in a baggie and submerge them in hot water for 10-15 minutes. This is usually adequate to give the rat a heat signature and be warm throughout without having problems from thawing too quickly or fear of the temperature of the internal contents. If you thaw properly and the pop was minor, you can let the snake continue to eat it depending on how bad it is. I'll get the occasional tear or blood from snakes who insist on squeezing too hard.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Karlee

Karlee Member

I keep them in those ziplock bags until I am ready to give him the pinky (which I take extra precautions not to touch because I got bit by one of Clair's baby burms). It is always warm and dry, I never fed him a cold and/or wet pinky. It was warm, but most of the time he decides to eat it when it is nearly to where I have to warm it up again because he will feel the need to burrow into it before actually attacking it. The pop literally threw everything out of it. I had to give Kamau a bath both times and scrub the container out (never go wrong with the easy to clean and transport plastic bins). There was just hardly anything left in it. This is getting annoying because as soon as he would throw a few coils around it, in about ten seconds it would look like it was being nuked. It wasnt a little tiny pop (like I some times get when I feed Cici the occasional pinky), I am stressing it was large enough to make me want to post a forum about it and fix the problem (I was probably thawing it too fast though I know realize).