problems with feeding

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by brisk453, Nov 14, 2010.

1. brisk453

brisk453 Embryo

hey i have a bearded dragon that will not eat anything that doesnt move. he wont eat veggies or dried food. the only thing he really eats is meal worms supper worms and crickets. i have been tring dropping the dried food infront of him to mistake it for a cricket. but i cant trick him and veggies i just put it in his bowl . i dont know how to get him to eat other stuff the live moving bugs. please help me out.

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey brisk453, welcome to the forums! = )

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at this post here and copying and pasting your asnwers to the questions, it would really be helpful to us. A lot of your potential problems could be a result of minor unintentional errors in care, and we can better diagnose the issue if we have a little background:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19945

Just another question or two: What is the dry food you are trying to feed?

Bearded dragons are notorious for being lazy, so it's very possible that he may just not want to exert the energy to chase fast moving prey. Furthemore, if he knows hes going to always get yummy crunchy bugs delivered to him and he's not tried salad before, he likely wont bother.

I'd stop mealworms all together, they are very fatty and have a low meat-to-shell ratio, and can really be quite difficult for a dragon to digest. Supers are "okay" but you want to try to push for staples like the crickets, roaches, and silkworms. The best tip I've found for getting a dragon to eat his salad or something he's not fond of is simply tough love. Dragons will not starve themselves, and although it may be hard for you to do, the best bet is to just offer the salad and nothing else for several days. You can try dropping the pieces in to show some enticing movement, or throw a bug he enjoys into the salad/hand feed a bug with a piece of salad on it so that he at least gets a taste of the stuff.

Regretfully I'm short on time and I'll be checking back later in the day so I've gotta cut this post a little short = /