Projects uroMAMEstyx & uroVIVAstyx

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by superbigjay, Mar 17, 2007.

1. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

NOTE:
    This first post is almost the same that I used for an Arcade Forum. It might be a bit too oriented on the arcade side, but it's only for this post....
    :(

========================================
    Hello all,

A few months ago (jan 2006), a friend of mine started it's own Arcade project. Knowing that I was someone who always has a project in mind, he was sending me pictures and stories about the progression of his project ...

I didn't take long before I decided that BYOA would be on my list of next projects

So July 1st 2006, I took the first step : I bought the ARCADE PROJECT book and start reading...

The next months were taken to look at different project annoucements, try to figure out the CP layout and finish my ongoing project : kitchen renovations...

23 Dec 2006 : Kitchen is done (just before Christmas : we had 20 family members coming over)

Feb 1st 2007:
    I have a good idea of the CP layout, the components I'll use. But I still haven't found the arcade theme. Without it, I can't start ordering stuff, since I don't know the "accent" color.

March 2nd 2007:
    There's the "salon des reptiles" in Montreal (you can guess the translation here). We (girlfriend and I) bring my 2 nephews to it. We spent a few hours looking at many different kind of lizards. Finally my girlfriend tells me : It would be nice to have a Lizard at home. If the vivarium is nice, it could be used to decorate the living room

==> Lizard and desert theme!!!

(I don't know if you see the power of that theme)

At this moment, I looked in my girlfriend big beautiful blue eye and told her:
    As usual, you have an excellent idea!
    I will buid a nice wooden/glass vivarium (4 feet long) in one corner.
    On the wall we already have 2 wooden lamps (a turtle and a lizard)
    And on the other corner, we could put the Arcade with a Lizard theme !

Do I have to tell you what was the first reaction of my girlfriend when I told her I wanted to build an arcade the first time? But this time, it didn't seem to bother her

The power of that theme is that not only I was finally able to choose the color for the arcade parts and start spending money, but I could put the arcade directly in the living room!!!
    :twisted:

------------------------------------------------
    So here's the general idea:
    - lizard/desert theme (accent color : YELLOW)
    - cabinet based on UAII with slight modifications
    - 2 player coin door
    - stainless steel cabinet side
    - 12-15" lateral lighted circular logos
    - transluscent yellow trackball
    - transluscent pushbuttons
    - 2 joysticks

As you see, I'm not re-inventing the wheel. Just re-using ideas

Choosing the name:
    The Lizard requirements were:
    - vegetarian (girlfriend doesn't like mouse, crickets and even less worms)
    - docile (for beginner)
    - good size (12-24 inches)

==> Mali/niger Uromastyx

This is how I ended up with the name "uroMAMEstyx".

If there some intereset for the acrade link, I'll post it...

The lizard vivarium
    The lizard vivarium will probaly have a small logo with the name on it "uroVIVAstyx"

The vivarium features are:
    - 4 feet long
    - 18 inches wide
    - roughly 16 inches high
    It will be a 2 story vivarium. Some kind of deluxe penthouse for lizard.
    The final dimensions should be something like: 48Lx18Wx48H

If any of you have a suggestion, please don't hesitate to post.

NOTE: English is my second language, so I'm sorry if there're many errors

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

for those interested, here's the link for the "arcade" part of this project (uroMAMEstix) Click Here For uroMAMEstyx Project

As for the uroVIVAstyx project, here's what I have in mind...

I already have a quotation for having the glass cut for the viv.
    The plans are almost done. I'm getting a biscuit joiner this weekend.

The only thing I have to do before building is to fix the basement door for my workshop. Right now, the door is not "dust" proof. So everytime I work in it, all the basement gets filled with dust. Since my computer and home theater system are right next to that room, I have to fix it!! (Electronics don't like dust!!!)

General idea
    -------------------------------
    I want to do something like what captivie (quebec company) are doing. Their viv are terrific. However it wasn't exactly what I wanted...

Basically, the uroVIVAstyx will look like their "Desertique" model, but will be 2-storey :)
    Click Here For Desertique web Page
    PS: I'll try to upload the image tomorrow. The connexion is real slow tonight...

I got the 2 storey idea from "Eastern_Painted_Turtle_8".

- each level will have its space to "hide" the heat lamp and uv lamp.
    - each level will have 2 small openings to allow air circulation
    (If necessary, I might even use a small cpu fan to increase the air flow)
    - I might use sterilized play-sand in some sections of the viv
    - I haven't decided yet how I'll divide the HOT/COLD section yet.
    1 heat/cold section for each foor or cold section below and hot above??
    I'll have to do some testing when the viv is done to see what I can
    acheive as temperature...
    - There will be some kind of "natural looking" stairs to go from the
    1st to second floor.
    - The viv will be used by 2 uros. Probably mali's. I would prefer Egyptians, but they'll eventually grow too big for the viv. My goal is to keep the same viv for the rest of my (their) life.

I already read some advices given by jayhay to Eastern_Painted_Turtle_8 regarding his 2 storey viv.

If you have any recommendation, don't hesitate. I'm a complete newbie for lizard...

I'll post a basic schematic soon. So you can give me feedback on how I should organize stuff.

PS:
    Is there any automatic temp. system to turn on/off heat lamps when the temps is reached??

cheers!<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

To give you an idea of the 2-storey idea, here's a magnificent cut n paste montage :D

[​IMG]

If you have any recommendations, ideas, concerns, don't hesitate. I'm a total newbie on this and I'm still on the drawing board...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

All right, I was able to find some time this weekend to install the new door (I even had time to do a little clean up of the work place...). With this, I should be able to work in the workshop without having dust everywhere

I'll probably stop by the hardware store next week to get wood.

I will work on the viv plans this week and should post something this week so you can give me advices on how to set it up...

PS: I went to one of my favorite store this weekend (cantire) and got myself a new tool: A biscuit joiner... I'm planning to use it for my vivarium assembly. Maybe it will be usefull for the arcade cab assembly too...

ciao!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

I need comment/advice on uro cage design!!!

Here’s the status of the project.

I spent the last night and this morning learning Google Sketchup. It’s a free, easy to learn (and time consuming) application that allow you to draw 3D models. I’m using it to help me design my vivarium and also have an idea of what it will look like.

Here’re some snapshots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

** Right now, the model doesn’t have the ramp access to go from the 1st to 2nd floor.

The caracteristics of the vivarium are:
    - 2 storeys
    - size between 48x18 up to 60x24. (I’ll have to check if the "big one fits").
    - used for 2 uro (if possible)
    - sliding glass doors in front
    - 2 air vents on each floor (1 on each side). These are the grey area above and below the windows.
    - automated temp regulation (if possible) to control cpu fan, heating devices...
    - hiden space to hide completely or partially light fixture.
    - home made rock wall
    - home made rock ramp/stairs to access 2nd floor and basking sites

Now, this is where I need advices...
    - I’m planning to have some sand area and some "ceramic". Is that OK?
    - For the lighting/heating.
    Where should I put UV light? both level? what kind/size?
    How many heating lamps, where?
    Do I need heating rocks/pads?
    - how do you recommend I split the temp inside the viv?
    (cold/hot spot available on both level or colder on the lower
    level and warmer on the higher level?)

I know these are a lot of question, but like I said, I’m a newbie

Jay

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

RE: I need comment/advice on uro cage design!!!

I see where you are going with this. Most of my concerns with a split level are in my post you referred to, so I am not going to repeat these concerns.

Basically, ventilation and heating are my biggest concerns with this setup as most conventional internally heated/lit enclosures are not going o work with a uro b/c of the high heat requirements. UV lighting is going to be needed on both levels to ensure that they are getting enough. Also, keep in mind that uros don't always get along and do better on their own, so if you really want two, I personally would stick with the design idea you have, and just don't link the two cages. This way you can keep them separate.

If the split level is a must, then I personally would suggest putting UV strips on the top and bottom sections and using the top section as the basking area. This way you could create a false screen top (with high molding around the outside edge to hide the fact that it is open) instead of a solid top. Screen the top in and you can easily place the heat lamps out of view behind the false top and you don't have to worry about them overheating. I am just not a fan of contained lighting.

Another option is to stick with the split level, but instead of joining them with a ramp, make the second level a half level (kinda like a loft). This option is best in my books b/c it allows you to heat both levels with the same fixture and it allows a single MVB to provide the needed UV. With the completely split 2 level you drew, you are going to need additional heating on the bottom to keep the cool temps up (as even these need to be in the 80s). Also, the half level idea will be more conducive to multiple temp zones.

Just some ideas. Looks really neat so far though :)

12. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

Re: RE: I need comment/advice on uro cage design!!!

Thanks Jayhay for the feedback. It's very helpful

I'll try to come up with a model showing where I think the lamps will go...

My bestcase scenario would be having each floor with a cold/warm side. with this is mind, this is the initial plan:

On both levels, I intend to use:
    - 1 basking lamp (or flood lamp) on the hot side
    - 1 uvb fluorescent tube
    - adjustable vent at the bottom of the cold side (air flow IN)
    - fan connected to thermostat on the top of the hot side (air flow out)

Also, since heat goes up, I will also use
    - 1 heat emitter in the middle of the lower level ceiling.
    (kind of ceramic heater that you plug in a lamp socket) for night

Question:
    Is using a regular flood light to emit heat an issue with uro (ie too bright) ??

thanks!
    Jay

13. beezneez

beezneez Member

RE: Re: RE: I need comment/advice on uro cage design!!!

Sounds pretty cool.

14. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

I got the base! Now I can finish the plans...

Hello,
    I spent the last week on the arcade part of my project.

The next days will be for the vivarium part.

I went to Reno-Depot to get the base for my soon to be 2 storey vivarium.
    I needed the base first, since the vivarium size is defined by it.

So I am proud to announce the vivarium size : W = 59 3/8"; D = 25 1/4"; H = 48"
    (roughly 5wx2dx4h feet)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the temp regulation, I think I found a device that will allow me to monitor 3 temp zone and also control fans (to lower temp if it gets too hot). Along with a thermostat and a heat emitter (to rise temp if it gets too cold), I should be able to have stable temp zones on both levels.

The best part is it works, it will have a nice LCD to monitor the temp zones. :)

I'll probably finish the plans tomorrow and get the wood on monday.
    Can't wait to show some pics of the work in progress!!! 8)

15. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

uroVIVAstyx : wood purchased

Quick "End of Weekend" update.

Well as planned, I've finished the plans for the viv and went to Reno-Depot this weekend to get all the wood I need for the project. I got:
    - one 3/4 plywood 4x8 (maple laminate finish for all visible parts)
    - two 5/8 plywodd 4x8 (pine select for bottom, middle floor and back)
    - two 3/4 x 1 1/2 hard maple wood (8 feet long for side panels sides)

While I was there, I decided to make them cut the wood for me (no dust for me!!!).
    At 1$ per cuts, its a 17$ well invested :)

I should start building this week...

Can't wait to post "work in progress" pics :)

[​IMG]

16. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

uroVIVAstyx : fan control solution

I’ve spent the last few day on the arcade part of the project...
    (the link for the uroMAMEstyx is in my signature)

As for the vivarium part, I’ve found my solution to control the temp inside the vivarium.

I’m gonna use a PC fan controller device. This device has 8 temp sensors. Each one can control a fan when a specific threshold is reached.

I’m including an image of the 2 sides + front of the vivarium. for each level, there will be a fan on the lower part of the cold side to pull fresh air inside the vivarium and another one on the highest part of the hot side to force an air exchange in case the temps get too high. The fan controller will be installed on the front of the vivarium. It will be used to monitor the 8 temp zones

[​IMG]

PS: The resolution is small, but you can see the 4 120mm fans + the fan controller.

I should start the viv building as soon as I get the fans + controller.
    Maybe this weekend if I’m lucky...

more news later...

17. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

Hello, here’s a morning update on the vivarium part of my project.
    I haven’t work on it for a week, since I was waiting for parts that were on order...

Yesterday, I received my fan controller. It’s a digitaldoc5.
    [​IMG]

This nifty device include 8 thermal probes (1 deg precision). For this model, 6 of them are ambient probes and 2 are for surface. Since my enclosure is 2 storey of 5x2 feet, I intend to use the probe like this for each floor:
    - 1 air probe for hot side
    - 1 air probe for cold side
    - 1 air probe in the middle (optional)
    - 1 surface probe for the basking site.

If this work, I won’t need any thermometers or temp gun...

Also, as a bonus, for each of these probes, you can assign a threshold that will start a 12V PC fan if the temp for that probe is exceeded.

If you want more info on this device, here’s a review of it:
    DigitalDoc 5 review

The built will probably start next week as I’m still waiting for the Fans which I’m suppose to get next Monday.

===================================
    !!! NEED HELP FOR HEAT/LAMP LAYOUT !!!
    ===================================
    All right, since I’m a newbie, I could use your feedback here for the lamp layout...

This is my first floor plan trial, or should I say Ceiling plan :)
    [​IMG]

- Can you tell me what you think of it?
    - Is that overkill? not enough?
    - Since all heating device are resistive, do you think I could use a Dimmer to adjust
    the heat if necessary?

PS:
    for the dimmer question, if this works, the vivarium would be even more hi-tech...
    You see, I have a bunch of X10 lamp dimmer. Each dimmer is rated for 500W
    and they’re programmable with a computer. Basically, you can set as many on/off + intensity level of any device, at any time. It’s very flexible!!

PPS:
    And talking of Hi-Tech, the 4 PC fans I’ve ordered have green LEDs on it. But this might be a bit too flashy, So I’ll probably end up disconnecting the LEDs
    :twisted:

Jay

18. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

uroVIVAstyx : got my fans and a helper...

All right, I just received my 120mm fans. They're Antec 120mm Led fans.

On this picture, you see the Fan running (camera's flash ON)
    [​IMG]

On this one, you see the same fan, but with the camera's flash OFF. So you see how the fan looks with the LEDs. I'm not sure yet if I'll leave the LED's on of not.
    [​IMG]

So now I have everything to start the assembly, which should start this weekend...

Also, I've got an helper. You can see her on the next pic...
    [​IMG]

Ok, maybe not...
    It's Mika, my Dobe, doing what she's bet at : taking a nap :)

So come on, if you have any suggestion, comment, concern, recommendation, fell free to post!!!

19. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

uroVIVAstyx : construction will begin shortly...

Quick update to let you know that the uroVIVAstyx project is still on.

Tonight I've tried my biscuit joiner to see how it works.
    Geee I should have bought that tool a long time ago :)

I'll check the results tomorrow on the "test piece".

The goal is to assemble the side panels by sunday night...

more news in the next days...

Cheers!!! :wink:

20. Nines

Nines Member

Great looking Dobe!!!

The fans are cool. During the day, the light/UVB bulbs may take away some or most of the LED light. What are you going to use to keep your curious little Uro out of the fan blades? Metal mesh? Soft mesh? My 13" Egyptitan can already reach to almost 9 inches. How high will they be? What's your idea? I think that pic with the green LED light is awesome. Looks like those high end computer fans, when the guys run them without the side panels.

Send another update.

21. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

Hello Nines,

Right now, the LEDs are built-in in the fans and are ON as soon as you turn ON the fan... With the Fan controller, the fans will probably be OFF most of the time. That means the LEDs will also be OFF...

What I'll do, is split the main 12V input from the fan into 2 separate inputs : FAN and LED. The FAN will be driven by the Digitaldoc5 and the LEDs will either be always ON, or connected to a separate 12V power supply on a timer to turn OFF the LED in daytime... My house is already setup for X10 stuff. With this, I can basically switch on and off any outlets, lights, ... at any time or even with the dusk/dawn (automatically calculated), even with a remote control :)

On each level, they'll be 2 fans.
    - Hot side fan: that fan is placed as high as possible, the bottom of the fan should be about 16 inches from the ground.
    - Cold side fan: that fan is located on the cold side at the ground level. So that one is accessible by any uro, regardless of its size.

(In the april 16th post, there's a picture where you see the 2 side panels with the front panel. You can see the fan locations there...)

I'll probably use regular 120mm fan grills like you have on any PC. I thinks is will be "thight" enough to protect any curious uro from those lethal blades.

Don't worry the Uro safety is my first priority. If a regular fan grill is not secure enough, I find something else...

As for the update, I might work a bit on the side panels tonight. The biscuit joiner is working like a charm! I'll see how I feel (got a sore throat right now) :)

So keep watching, interesting pics should could in the next few days :D

22. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

uroVIVstyx : side panel 1 ready to assemble.

Hello everyone,
    another late night update...

The joint test I did yesterday was a success!! A biscuit jointer is a must for any workshop... :D

It was the first time I was using a jointer. So after 10 minutes reading the manual, I was ready to go...
    [​IMG]

The jointer adjustments is relatively simple: you set the angle, set the height to half of the material thickness and based on the thickness of your material, you pick the right biscuit size. For 3/4" I took size #20.

Then, you mark on both pieces where you want to insert the joint. For my trial, I decided to make an 90deg assembly. Once marked, you start the jointer, align it and press it against to wood.
    [​IMG]

The last part, is the assembly. You fill the 2 slots and cover the biscuit with carpenter glue, insert the biscuit in the slots and press for a snug fit. Then you remove the glue surplus and clamp everything and let the glue dry
    [​IMG]

Once dry, the joint is really robust. I’ve tried to disassemble the joint by hand, and wasn’t able to. PERFECT!!!

Tonight, I’ve routed all the slots required to assemble the first side panel (cold side, with the fan at the bottom)
    [​IMG]

I’ll probably route the second panel tomorrow and do the assembly Friday night.

Stay tune!!
    Jay

23. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

RE: uroVIVstyx : side panel 1 ready to assemble.

looks like it is really coming along! You are putting a lot of work into this :D

24. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

Re: RE: uroVIVstyx : side panel 1 ready to assemble.

Thanks Jayhay,

Now, it's the fun part : the assembly :D
    I am at the same point in both projects (uroMAMEstyx and uroVIVAstyx). Now the only thing missing is time :wink:

I'll probably order all the lighting/heating stuff from hagen's this weekend (a friend of mine is a supplier, so I get really good prices)

Cheers
    Jay (with no Hay :twisted: )

25. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

uroVIVAstyx : side panel 1 and 2 completed

Hello,

Here's a short update...

I finished the 2 side panels assembly Saturday.

On pic #1, you can see the cold side panel glued and clamped.
    All biscuit are installed and clamps are installed. Just have to wait a few hours for the glue to dry...
    [​IMG]

On pic #2, you see the hot side panel, I’ve installed 1 of the 2 fan to show how it will look like.
    [​IMG]

Note: on each level, there will be 2 fans. One on the cold side to pull air IN and 1 on the hot side to push air out. So there will be 4 fans total!! All controlled by the digitaldoc5.

The nest step will be to sand the glue residue...

So far so good....
    Everything went as plan. No show stopper.
    More news later!!!

PS:
    for your information, these are the side panels. Their dimensions are 26W" x 48H" (roughly 2x4 feet).

Jay