Proper handling method?? n00b.

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Maelstrom78, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

Hi everyone.. Im pretty new to ball pythons and just got my first baby male last night. Hes a little over 2 months old.. Ive been reading posts on this site for a long time and ive read all the care sheets 10x over and made sure all my husbandry issues are taken care of.. I also have a Bearded Dragon i got 4 months ago when he was about 6 weeks old who is doing amazingly well and is up too 14 inches long now :) Anyhow to my question.. I was wondering the "proper" way to actually put my hand in his tub in to pick him up.. and where on his body should i first lift him from? Like i said i just got him last night and already hes out exploring and just being a very curious boy.. Ive handled him 2x since i got him.. once last night and once this morning and both times he was very good and didnt bite or strike at me.. I just wanna make sure im holding him in a way thats comfortable for him..
    Thanks in advance everyone and ill post some pics as soon as i get some more batteries for my digicam. :D
    Also were not quite sure what to name him yet.. maybe you guys can help us there too hehe.. Weve narrowed it down to
    1. Hades
    2. Bagheera (Jungle Book)
    3. Leviathan
    4. Abbath
    5. Bruce (after Bruce Campbell) or perhaps Ash would be more fitting hehe.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Al99

Al99 New Member

I allways lifted mine up with both hands depending on how big he is in about the middle of his body. A two month old can't be that big, so I would use one hand (unless you feel more comfertable with two hands).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tmx

tmx New Member

Maelstrom, Not to burst your bubble. But you should really let the little one acclimate! He's more than likley is stressed out right now from the move. Normally when i get a new snake, i leave it be in it's tub for at least a week and get him feeding. As babies, i normally get 3 or 4 meals in them before i start messing with them to much. BP's can stress and will go off feed. Not trying to scare you or anything. As i know it's very hard to keep your hands off the new little one. But try as best as you can to let him get use to his surroundings, and AT LEAST get one meal into him before you mess with him to much. And after you have fed him, don't handle him for at least two days to let it digest, otherwise you take the chance of regurgitation.

Picking them up, well, as long as your not mean in doing so it doesn't really matter? I mean obviously you don't pick him up by the tip of his tail etc. Just pick a large part of his body and pick him on up! They're strong, once you have em in your hands and you get use to them you will learn this. Hope this helps!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Al99

Al99 New Member

I agree with tmx. He put it in better words then me.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

Oh yes im definatly letting him acclimate before i got nuts handling him.. I just wanted to make sure im handling him in a way thats comfortable for both of us when hes ready for it :) Thank you for your help. :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. diablo17

diablo17 Member

Re: RE: Proper handling method?? n00b.

12. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

RE: Re: RE: Proper handling method?? n00b.

Umm Diablo17 why dont you relax.. I had to handle him once to put him in his dish for transportation when i got him and once to put him into his aquarium..
    I didnt ask for any smartass comments.. Just a little advice.. I think ill take my questions elsewhere if these are the kind of responses im going to be getting on this forum.. Thanks for nothing.

13. tmx

tmx New Member

Maelstrom, Don't worry about him.. Your gonna find someone like that any where you go... People these days! If you ever have any questions just ask!

14. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

Thank you tmx. :D
    Ive been browsing here for quite sometime and honestly never expected a reply like that as 99% of all the posts ive read from people on here are very friendly and helpful!
    On a side not Ive named him Zyklon and he seems to be doing very well so far.. He seems to be coming out and exploring his new home around 7 or 8pm since ive gotten him. Gonna try feeding him on Wednesday as he was fed Thursday night last week.. Hopefully that goes well hehe.. The breeder i got him from said he was his best eater and doesnt forsee me having any problems getting him to feed. :eek: Also i just wanna make sure where ive read he should eat 2 furries a week do i feed him 2 furries in one night?

edit: sorry for the stupid questions hehe.

15. tmx

tmx New Member

Well, I don't know the size of the snake and or what size "furries" you mean. The rule of thumb with ball pythons. Is feed ONE rodent every 7-10 days that is appropriately sized. Appropriate size is a rodent that is about the same size girth as the snake is. So the widest part of the snake would be as wide as the rodent. Just don't give him something to big. it's always smart to stay just a little bit smaller! I personally feed rats, and prefer rats! Because once they are adults and you feed mice, an adult mouse will not be big enough at feeding time! So you would have to feed two mice! There is normally no problem feeding two in one feeding time, but proper is to feed one appropriately sized!

And just for good refrence, Here is an excellent Ball Python Care Sheet

http://www.discoids.com/BP_caresheet.html

16. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

Thats exactly what i need to know :D Thank you very much tmx.

17. diablo17

diablo17 Member

Maelstrom78, i was not trying to be rude or anything. you stated in your first post that you handled him twice; "once last night and once this morning". that doesn't sound like just taking him home and putting him in his enclosure, so i was simply stating that handling him "once last night and once this morning" is not the way to let him acclimate. it was not an attack or judgement against you, just a comment about snake care. you're telling me to relax, but you're the one getting upset over nothing. don't be so sensitive. i have been on this forum for awhile and i certaintly don't have a reputation for being a jerk. chill out, nobody is attacking you.

also, (again, not an attack) you really shouldn't feed him until he is acclimated. they need to be left alone for a week or two before you do anything with them. he'll be fine without food for an extra few days or week.

again, not an attack, just a comment about snake care. if i didn't have people on this forum telling me what they thought i was doing wrong when i first got my snake i would still be making mistakes.

18. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

diablo17: I apologize for taking what you said the wrong way if indeed there was no intent to be rude.. Sometimes its hard to judge the way people would say something by text alone.. :) So again sorry i took it the wrong way :)
    Thank you for the info on feeding him when he is better acclimated. I noticed he was especially shy last night and didnt come out of his hide that i noticed unlike the previous 2 nights.. I think im just very used to the bearded dragon way of things where they are constantly looking for attention hehe.. But i did see his head stick out for a peek this morning so i know he is still alive atleast hehe..
    And i really do appreciate any input at all :) This is still my first snake and i need all the help i can get haha.. I have read the care sheets over and over again and im sure my husbandry is all correct so its really just the finer points like behaviour i need help with the most :)
    Im gonna wait till atleast this weekend to try and feed him like you suggest. I dont wanna stress the lil guy out anymore than he has to be for sure.
    Thanks again :)

19. tmx

tmx New Member

Maelstrom, Do you know what kind of feeding schedule he was on? 7 Day schedule? It's good to get them on a schedule, and if he was fed last thursday, i see no problems in feeding him this thursday. To get him on a 7 day schedule!

20. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

Yah the breeder i got him from gave me his feeding, shedding, cage maintenance and fecal schedule along with a couple other things.. He had him on a 6 and 7 day feeding schedule.. Maybe on Thursday or friday ill try offering him a mouse and see if he takes it or not.. :)
    *curses acclimation!* haha. j.k I respect the space he needs until he gets used to his new home

21. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Maelstrom,

I know you realize it was a misunderstanding now, but I just wanted to say that Diablo is one of the last people on this forum who is going to flip you crap. He truly has you and your snake's best interest in mind. Diablo is truly one of the good people around here. Even if I dont agree with him all the time :)

22. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Diablo has a very good point. The # 1 reason why ball pythons are not recommended as a first snake, and we get "Why won't my ball python eat?" posts, is because new snake owners handle their snakes before they are adjusted. Ball pythons are very picky.

23. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78 Embryo

Thanks shrap. I have read all the care sheets and like i said ive been reading posts on this forum for some time and i do realize as i did from the start that he has to get used to his surroundings before being handled and i have no problems with that whatsoever.. First and foremost i respect my animals and their needs over my own selfish desires, and 99% of the time over even my own needs as im sure most animal lovers can attest to.. :)

24. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Has he eaten for you yet?

25. diablo17

diablo17 Member

thanks for the support shrap. and i used to think you didn't like me :wink:...

maelstrom... don't worry about it man, it happens. like you said, sometimes it to hard to read someone's intentions simply by text alone (probably why i used to think shrap didn't like me, lol).

back to the snake issues...

the most important (and hardest) thing is just to be patient. it's hard as heck to have this great new snake you want to handle and feed and watch but not be able to come near him. but as i was told when i first came here you've got a good 25 years or more for all that stuff.

as far as a feeding schedule, a 5 day schedule is considered best for juveniles by many people. once they grow up once a week is great, but younger snakes should get meals slightly more frequently. growing boys need their... uuuh... rodents.

last thing... get used to not seeing him very much at times. they really like their privacy and will often hide for days. i used to always check to make sure mine was still alive, but eventually i realized he wasn't just gonna die under his hide anytime soon. ;)