Putting my 2 RTBs together

Discussion in 'Boas' started by cherrypie108, Jan 18, 2010.

1. cherrypie108

cherrypie108 Embryo

Hey guys!!

I currently have two red tailed boas. A 7 ft female and a 6 ft male. They have been in two tanks up until this point. I recently purchased a new monster of a tank for them. It's 6 long by 4 high and a little over 2 feet deep. I'm planning on putting them together in a few weeks and I'm a little nervous. A friend of mine who breeds says it should be no problem, as it's possible to shut off part of the tank for feeding and they're not likely to breed on their own. I'm just worried that their temperament will change or that they won't get along well, even though I've had 2 RTBs together before.

Any sugestions for the transition that might help?

Thanks!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Hello, and welcome to the forums. :)

As to your question... well, I honestly don't recommend putting two snakes together ever except during planned breeding (some people house snakes together successfully, it's not something I like to recommend though). There is just such an increased risk for sickness/transfer of sickness, and frequently a male will bother a female for... that "thing" they like. :)

I also thing that that cage is a bit on the small side for two snakes. For one it's perfect, but two... things would be a bit tight, especially since they've probably still got some growth to go (not sure how old they are).

In the end though, they are your boas and it's your decision. If you do end up housing them together, you certainly want to feed them in separate containers/put a divider in. It ain't good when two snakes decide to eat the same meal. o.o

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cherrypie108

cherrypie108 Embryo

Thanks for replying!!

That's what I was worried about: Charlie getting frisky. I've had two together before without problems but they were both male. I think what I may end up doing is putting them together and keeping a really close watch. First sign of trouble, I still have their old tanks which are plenty big enough. As for the feeding there is a divider, I certainly wouldn't be feeding them together. It's more of a floor space consideration to have them together but of course I'd never jeopardize their happiness or health.

Thanks again!