Pygmy mulga monitor care

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by sety, Dec 18, 2004.

1. sety

sety New Member

Hi there, I'm currently taking care of a friend's pygmy, and wanted to know some hints on it's basic needs. I have a bearded dragon, but they are nothing alike - I just wanted to know about prey types (are just crickets okay?), the need for UVB (they don't need it right?) etc. Are they okay to feed in a separate tub? my mate didn't do that, but I wouldnt want to leave any crickets in there overnight or something. I'm also taking care of his knob-tailed gecko, so you may see a similar topic like this floating around hahah B)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they do not need UV light, it is ok to feed in a separate tub, monitors rarely leave any extra feed lying around so nothing to worry about. but you should also give it appropriatly sized mice. how big is it now?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sety

sety New Member

its only small - like 25cm long. He hasn't been eating yet, and so far it's been 2 days- do they just need to get settled? I think it needs to get used to handling when moving to a feeding tub, new surroundings etc

cheers

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it can take up to a week for them to get fully settled. at 25cm it is pretty small and is scared of you. i would avoid moving him into a separate rub to feed him at this size just to avoid stressing it out more. instead put the food in a small dish and let him eat off of it. try using ground turkey that has been mixed with calcium and vitamins.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. sety

sety New Member

awesome thanks mate - is uncooked chicken okay too?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yea i crush up the bones and feed my monitor them to. it helps with calcium. just make sure there are no long sharp edges