Python still not eating...

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Janice, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I know what you guys are thinking,....'here we go again'.... I'm not freaking out, by any means. It's been about 3 weeks. We've tried frozen mice, frozen rats, and even a live mouse (just once). We have left the frozen rats in his cage overnight and he doesn't touch them. I read that the smell of hay/grass will stimulate eating. Whatever. We put some timothy hay in his cage, and that didn't work. We have raised his temps a bit, and that's not working. He is fairly active, moving around his cage. If anyone has any tricks or advice, Í would be very greatful.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Hey Janice... I assure you that no one is thinking that. You might want to look over this article http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index...-89-page-1.html to see if you there might be something there you haven't tried. The only thing I know I've left out of that is scenting. Sometimes scenting a mouse with a lizard helps...I don't know why...lol. If your snake in a room that gets a a lot of traffic. If so, then you could try covering his cage overnight when leaving the F/T prey in there, I know that's how we got our Children's to eat. I've never heard of the hay scent stimulating feeding. That doesn't seem likely to me. Just put off force-feeding to the very end.
    Have you had a fecal flotation done or any other vet check-up? I always like to rule out things like that too.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Supposedly the hay because of where they would find rodents in the wild. Yeah, yeah, i thought I would try it anyway. no fecal, yet, no feces at all yet. I have not even thought of force feeding yet. What did you mean by 'scenting a mouse with a lizard'? We do cover the cage when we put the prey in there. The rat is still there in the morning.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

I've heard of some people puting their snake in a pillowcase with the prey. Is this a good idea?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

I wouldn't do that. You could try a feeding bucket/bin. Just a rubbermaid box or bucket large enough to fit your snake in comfortably, just make sure it's ventilated. Put the snake and the prey in there and leave them for a while. It's good to do that anyways to prevent the snake from thinking that your hand coming into the tank means dinner.
    Scenting means you take a live lizard (some people use anoles) and rub it against the F/T or P/K prey item you are going to offer and it's scent is then on the mouse and sometimes that scent encourages the snake to take the prey.
    Kind of late to ask this, but have you tried offering smaller prey items. Sometimes, for whatever reason, some snakes just won't take mice that are technically the perfect size and prefer smaller prey. Have you tried 'braining' the mice? Which means cracking the skulls and causing the brains/blood to come out through the nose and or mouth or in that general area. This is done of course after they've been thawed or killed. Sorry, I don't think you're stupid, I'm just covering my bases should someone else read this and think I'm some sort of sicko! lol It sounds nasty I know, but sometimes it works.
    I'm running out of ideas Janice! LOL! You can also scent with gerbils. Make sure the mice/rats are warmed to their natural body temperature.
    How old is your python, btw?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

I thought that is what you meant...but why lizards? Will they eat lizards? I have geckos, and a bearded dragon. I'm not sure they'd appreciate me rubbing a rat on them. LOL. The guy at the pet store told me about braining them, and I was totally grossed out. So should we cover the bucket with some dark screening? I don't know how old the snake is. Not a clue. It's about half the size of the other one that had ticks. Maybe he just isn't eating because the rats are too cold. I'm not the one who puts them in the cage. My husband does the dirty work. Hmmm, Maybe that's all it is.

12. biochic

Just put the lid that comes with the bucket on it, just drill some holes in it for venilation but make sure it's secure. We usually just set the lid on there and use a brick to hold it down since the buckets we have seal really tightly and are a bear to get off. Put the frozen rats in some really hot tap water to warm them. I usually put them in a beaker or some other type of tall container and leave the water on a low stream so it will stay to temperature and let them thaw in there. After that you can heat them more under the heat lamps of the cage. Just make sure the snake isn't in there or you put the lamp somewhere else. I know yours isn't eating, but after he starts, this will just tease him and make him snappy so always prep food away from the cage just to be safe. Some snakes will eat lizards and sometimes even those that won't will take prey that's scented with them. I know what you mean though, we have several species of lizards and they all hated us when were trying to get our Children's to eat. We scented with everything! LOL!

13. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

I'm assuming the snake in question is a Ball Python. When you say the rats were possibly too cold.... Umm how are you thawing them? Prey should be warm to the touch (not hot) Plus during this time of the year its very common for a Ball Python to go off feed.

Never heard that the smell of hay will stimulate a feed response.

One thing that wasn't asked is what are the cage temps? If they are too cool the snake wont want to eat. Measure the temps with a digital thermometer. Never heard of scenting with a lizard for a ball python (if it is a ball Python)

has this snake ever eaten for you in the past?

14. Janice

We have had the snake for 3 weeks, no it hasn't fed at all. I know it's common for it to go off feed, and that's why I'm not freaking out. We have a UTH, and a red light as well. We measure with a temp gun, and a digital probe. Yes, it's a ball python. We are thawing them in a cup of water, but I haven't actually touched them, so maybe they are thawed, but not warm?

15. biochic

They could also feel warm but not be entirely thawed so they'll cool down more quickly. Make sure they are really pliable amd limp before you offer them.
    I just offered scenting as an option. I've heard of doing it for a variety of snakes and when all else fails...ya know...I'll try anything!!! lol

16. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

What are its hot spot temps?

yeah i offer my prey very warm to the touch, they usually constrict for a while but they dont get burned by the prey tmps. Seems the warmer the prey the better the feed response(within reason)

17. Janice

95. Should we lower it at night?

18. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

90-92 would be better. No need for a night drop.

19. Janice

Thanks, he/she sometimes sleeps under the heat instead of in the cave, so I thought the heat was okay. I'm sure he must be getting hungry. We just have to figure out what he wants exactly.

20. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

FWIW, when my ball went off feed last year the thing that seemed to do the trick was heating the rat up really, really warm. I think it helps if the rat is a higher temperature than the surrounding air as their thermal receptor sites will allow them to "see" the rat better than their eyes and stimulate a feeding response. That's just my theory, though.

Try and make that rodent real warm. Keep in mind you need to keep your finger on the rodent for more than just a second as the middle of it's body may not be nearly as warm as the outside and it may be cooler than you think. You want to try to get the entire thing warmed up real good if you can. GOOD LUCK!!!

21. Janice

I was told by someone to stick it in the microwave for a minute, but I was thinking that would just cook it. What do you guys think? Rob, that totally makes sense, because if the rat wasn't 'hot' enough, then he wouldn't even know it's there.... can they even really 'smell' things? They 'smell' with their tongues, right? I'm not all caught up on the snake biology.

22. biochic

I wouldn't use the microwave. I've heard some nasty stories. Like they "explode" (not dramtically though), they get really soft and break open when you pick them up, or they get too hot and dry up. I've never tried it and I really don't want to since I use my microwave for MY food. I mean, I've never fed myself with the snakes' tongs so they can't use my microwave! LOL! You're right though, if it's not warm enough, they won't recognize it as food. Just some little white thing wiggling in front of their face.

23. Janice

So, just a quick question, though. Our snake is pretty small. Can we hold the nice and very warm little rat over his head, for him to take, or should we just drop it in? Do they just latch on to the head, or will we get bit?

24. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

I use hemostats and for troubled feeders I take the mouse by the nape of the neck and walk it around the cage as if it were alive..

yeah dont use the microwave. Just use hot tap water.

25. Janice

So, you play with dead rodents??? LOL, that's funny. But can we just dangle it???? or will that scare him?