Q's on proper substrat 4 white tree frog

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by midniteimpreza, Oct 3, 2004.

1. midniteimpreza

midniteimpreza Embryo

Hey i just purchased a white dumpy yesterday and ive switched from two substrates first i had bark/Woodchip. But then i read that bark/woodchips, are not good because the frog may swallow it while eating and can cause impact and death. So i bought Compressed Coconut fiber substrat. But then i noticed he has trouble climbing up the glass because hes toes are all dirty! i love my frog alot! and want to see him live a long healthy life so any advice would be great. Right now i have him in a 20 gallon with coconut fiber substrat, artificial foliage, a few sticks, 75 watt heating lamp (temp hangs around 78 - 80 ) and a 65 watt night heating lamp (hangs around 70 - 75), a flouracent light and i mist the tank about 4 - 5 times a day. < is there anything im doing wrong? plz any advice, thanks a bunch.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

my whites cant climb the glass because hes to fat. which is normal. for me at least hes lived a long time like this. forest bed is a good substate. i use moss for substrate.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kaos02

kaos02 Embryo

Long fiber sphagnum is an excellent substrate due to the fact that it inhibits mold growth.Also the simplest is white non bleached non dyed paper towels,just mist them down to moisten and change when soiled.

Good luck,
    Rob

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. midniteimpreza

midniteimpreza Embryo

thanks for the tip guys! appreciate it =) i think im gona stick with the coconut fiber and see how it works out!, thanks fellas.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

joe - if your white's is too fat to climb the glass, then he is too fat. the roll of fat over their ears (the tympanic membrane) should not cover more than half of the membrane. if the roll covers more than half the membrane, the frog is too fat!

as for substrate, the coconut fiber is the best, in my opinion. it holds moisture well without molding, is digestible, is very pretty/realistic, and is cheap. gravel, sand, or anything small enough for them to swallow (except the coconut fiber) is really bad. wood chips are bad for almost any herp (except snakes can be put on aspen) because of the fumes, sharp edges, and risk of impaction if swallowed. plain topsoil is great for tree frogs, too, or you can mix the topsoil and coconut fiber.

they will have trouble climbing the glass because of substrate, but there should be more things to climb on in the cage anyway. as long as you have a couple big branches in there and some fake (or live) plants for him to climb on, the sliding-down-the-glass thing won't be a big problem. just make sure there's lots of other stuff he can climb on.