Question about feeder anoles

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by dziban303, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dziban303

dziban303 Embryo

I've seen websites advertising a quantity of feeder-quality anoles relatively cheaply (though still somewhat outrageous to me, considering their abundance in the wild here). Often the lizards are described as "B, C and D quality lizards".

What does this mean? What makes a lizard a "B" or "D" grade? Are these typically injured or sick animals, or just runty?

The backstory: A colleague of mine is renovating a home which was in bad shape when she bought it, and included a largely dead backyard, which is an oddity around here (where if you planted a hubcap, in two months you'd have a 15-foot hubcap tree...sadly does not work with $20 bills). I suspect the yard was poisoned at some point, possibly after Hurricane Gustav. Anyway, the yard is getting a full overhaul with new soil, grass and plants, and she wants to stock the yard with "chameleons" (as anoles are locally known) as well. When she saw she could get 20 anoles for ~$50 she asked me my opinion. I said they'd be there in full force soon enough, but after a bit of observation I think the population in the vicinity is pretty thin, and I suspect the lack of big trees, a population of feral cats and maybe even poison (as I said earlier, the yard is lifeless). So restocking the area might not be so foolish after all. But I don't want her to get lizards in poor health that will die or be eaten without at least a decent chance of survival.

So what are the quality of lizards people have gotten by buying feeders online? Can anyone post some pictures of animals they've purchased as feeders?

Thanks.