Question bout snake

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Blind, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Blind

Blind New Member

Are there any snakes that eat insects? like crickets?

Because my mom... thinks that this snake can live off crickets, so we had a bet... lol

Anyways, i'd also like if you can help identify this snake.

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I'm not really into colubrids, but this looks like a type of garter snake maybe. The garters around here live off of feeder fish, and I've seen a few offered crickets, but they never really took them. Some snakes will eat bugs though, when they are too little to eat much of anything else. Hopefully this helps a little and maybe someone with more colubrid expertise can identify more precisely...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

I really dont think its a garter due to its head. It really looks like a gopher snake to me. Might even be a fox snake. Where was it found?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Odemus

Odemus Member

its head looks REALLY close to my pacific gopher snake. the body has quite a few simalaritys too..

so i would say that its some type of gopher snake too

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blind

Blind New Member

Blackminded, i live in SoCal, my aunt found it and brought it to me, i have no clue why... maybe cos i recently showed an interest in reptiles.

And it looks ALOT like a pacific gopher, i googled them, and i found a site with pics, the last (7,8,9) resemble it alot.

http://www.snakeguys.com/Pages/Pacific%20G...her_snake_7.htm

So would i just google a caresheet? or do any of you suggest one?

12. mviridis

mviridis Embryo

I'm from SoCal too and agree that you've got a real nice looking gopher snake on your hands now!!

13. Blind

Blind New Member

Thanks mv :lol:

Hm. Did you guys notice that brown smudge right behind his head? It looks like a burn...

Well, i took some more pictures, but i cant really see what it is, cos i havent worn my glasses.

[​IMG]

and i took a picture... it was cool! lol, i liked it so here it is :(

[​IMG]

14. newbiepython

newbiepython New Member

Cool snake. Are you keeping it?

15. Blind

Blind New Member

Yeah, i'm keeping it.

I read somewre that said it could be kept in a tub, but i dun like that idea, so i'm just keeping it in there until i get it a tank.

What size of tank would be good for it?

16. Odemus

Odemus Member

well they can grow 3.5-6.5 feet long... so they will need a good size tank eventually

i just upgraded mine in to a 40 gal breeder... he was in a 10 gal and mine is 20inces long...

mine eats hoppers with ease and he has eaten feeder mice and while he did get it down
    i think it was too much for him so im sticking to hoppers for a while...

i put him in his new tank last night he was all "WOW LOOKY HERE" moving all around and playing in the water bowl and climbing the vines i had put in... he finally can strech out and move LOL

17. Blind

Blind New Member

Lol, okies, thanks.

So this one isnt that big, its roughly 2ft, i havent measured it though.. :D

So will it be good in a 10 gal for a while? or should i go with something bigger?

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Is your mom ok with having to feed him mice? I was just curious. If she thought he could eat crickets, I figured she'd be bothered by having to feed him mice. It's cool that you're keeping him. He's a beauty.
    I would personally start him in a 20gal.

19. Blind

Blind New Member

oo, ok i'll try for a 20 gal.

The thing is, i dont know if mice are small enough for him, his head is like... really small... lol

The first pic, the one on my first post is almost actual size.

20. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

He should be able to eat a pinky, no problem. You'll be amazed at how much they can fit in their mouth! Just make sure the mouse is no bigger than 1.5 times the thickest part of his girth (the same size, or slightly bigger is good). He's really cute :D

21. Blind

Blind New Member

Okies, thanks clem :D

I know! he is really cute,lol

hehe, earlier today, i was checking up on him, and i breathed into the tub, and it sounded like a hiss, and it made him hiss. lol.

22. Odemus

Odemus Member

yours looks like the same size as mine...
    if it close to 2 feet...

mine eats hopprs with ease and dosent bother to constric pinkys or fuzzys he just swollows them live...

23. Blind

Blind New Member

Okies, odemus, were do you get your hoppers? i asked at my local petshop and they didnt carry any.

Do you have a site were you buy them at?