Question for Ball owners

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by JFJ, Feb 7, 2005.

1. JFJ

JFJ Embryo

I am looking to purchase a ball python, I am new to snakes and i have been reading some of the posts on this forum saying that balls are not good for first snakes. Corns and kings are recommended, but i honestly dont like the look of those types of snakes.

With that being said i was planning on getting a captive breed ball because it seems that (from what i have read) they are less picky eaters. I have been looking on the web for breeders and came across a few like ( http://www.jsreptiles.com/index.htm / Bob Clark ) is this a good route to go? They are asking $50 and up which i am fine with. Local pet stores like petsmart are selling them for $75, but i am leery of buying for a chain pet store.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Never buy and animal from a petsmart, pet co, or other chain pet store, the BPs are all w/c or as their selling term is now "Farm Raised" lol (That name still makes me chuckle)

If i were you i would look for a Loacal herp show. then you could see the snake your going to get. Yeah there are some uscrupulous dealers out there that will claim to have c/b Ball pythons and in reality they are w/c. But at least you can see them in person without the surprise of getting them shipped. While I personally dont care for Bob Clark since hes basically a puppy farm for Burmese pythons. Big names like that are usually reputable people to buy from.

Unfortunately its Buyer beware. BUT on the good note, IF you do your homework. and IF you have your cage set up properly, and IF you read through everyone elses dilemas, and solutions offered.... it really doesn't matter cuz your Ball python WILL eat.

Notice i say IF allot. These IF's are rarely done before a snake is brought into a home.

I'm by no means saying its wrong to ask questions... Just educate yourself to the point where there is NO NEED to ask simple husbandry questions, like how hot should it be or is this cage ok. All this should be done WAY before the snake comes home.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jambooti

jambooti New Member

My ball python was my first snake and taking care of him has been no problem. In the two years I've had him he has never, not once, bitten me or even been the slightest bit aggressive towards me. He's a big 'fraidy cat. He did go off-feed this spring/summer for 7 months, but even that was easy to handle, I just tried to feed him every 3 weeks or so to see if his appetite was back. He only lost ~3% of his body weight during that period, so I didn't worry much. They can be finicky eaters, so try to get one that's already eating prekilled or frozen/thawed prey. Mine was raised on live prey and that's all he'll eat no matter what I try.

The big thing to remember is the cost of *properly* caring for a snake is far greater than the animal itself. Many people who buy snakes do so on a whim and do no research or instantly complain about having to buy this and that. It enrages me to see some people buy snakes and take such sub-standard care of them. For me it's part of the joy of owning such fascinating creatures to be able to provide as nice a home and diet for them that I can. You stand a much better chance of raising a healthy snake by getting your ducks in a row before the animal purchase. Think about a baby...if you and your spouse had a child, you wouldn't wait until the baby comes home from the hospital before buying a crib, babyproofing the house, reading lots of baby care books and so forth, would you? It's the same way with pets. Make a good home for your python before you buy. Read read read...and good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

We have a ball python, our first and only snake. Yes, it was hard to get him to eat at first. We probably stressed him out, and then he went into a shed. But as soon as he shed, he ate. What seemed like months was only a couple of weeks. We were lucky. The thing with first time snake owners, is that we want to handle a snake that just doesn't want to be handled. The settling in period is very important. And when you are almost out of your mind from him not eating, then he'll eat. I don't regret for a moment getting a ball python ( despite the nightmare the other night that he got out, LOL).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mrfatpocket

mrfatpocket New Member

i too own a ball python and it is my first snake ... i bought him because like u i didnt so much care for cornsnakes.. but the king snakes i do like. mine was a CB that needed about two weeks when i got him home before he ate, then just started to eat like a champ. Hes gone through his little phase of not eating and yesterday ate again. to me if researched properly a BP is a very good starter snake, you just need to be prepared to get all the neccessary equipment. and it at times becomes expensive... but dont skimp on it, it is most definitaly neccessary.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wolf8583

wolf8583 Embryo

Ed_r when you say that all snakes from chain stores are w/c is that your opinion or do you know they really do that.

12. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

WC or CH (captive hatched....meaning they were wild laid eggs that were harvested in Africa) bought by the bushel are BY FAR cheaper than buying CB. So what do you think they are using?

13. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

No chain store will admit to it. or else they will say they are farm raised. But the importation of ball pythons is actually a huge business, and ball Pythons get sent herre by the shipping container ful. and I mean full. They are going somewhere, and the only real source for such purchases is the chain pet stores around the country.

14. wolf8583

wolf8583 Embryo

Is that just for python snakes or all snakes from pet stores. Wondering becuse im planning on getting a corn snake and want to know if its fine to use a pet store to get if from.

15. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Mainly for Ball Pythons. Although I'm not going to say that some unscrupulous sellers dont go herpin for snakes to sell.

16. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

Ed_r before you go grouping pet chains in one big pile I would straighten out your facts at bit better. I understand the push to get people to buy snakes from breeders but not all chains are "farm raised" or wild caught. I work for a chain and am incharge of ordering snakes. I guarantee you ours are bought from reputable breeders.

17. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

By chain I dont mean the family group of 4-5 stores. I mean the mega chains such as Petco,and Petsmart

18. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I have worked for petsmart and petco. The petsmart I worked for didn't have snakes and I order for petco.

19. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

If ur interested in any kind of Bp i would definitely check this guy out! He breeds all BP's and has bred every single morph i believe. http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com

20. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

So who do you buy from? If you've got proof petco doesn't sell WC BP's I'd pay money to see it. Not just because I think someone's pulling something over on someone but also because I'd be thrilled to learn this were true. Please, indulge us......

21. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Hmm if it is true. I'll have to come up with new ways people are getting baby Ball Pythons from Petsmart and petco that are loaded with parasites and of course the occasion captive bred tick. I've done retail ordering too, and ALL big chains have their own suppliers. Trust me I know for a FACT the Petcos in Chicago are not begging the Herp Society members to pump out more babies. I can't even Imagine how many Petcos there are across the country. They all buy through the same distribution group. I'm sure if you tracked and traced far enough back, you would find an Importers name on an invoice for them.

Not saying this to be mean or insulting you. Just saying a Big chain isn't going to redily tell their employees that they are either knowingly, or just flat out don't care where they get their animals from. The ones by me dont even care what happens to the snakes when they are in their store. I see them allot with no water and dirty cages. I get kicked out of petcos allot ;)

22. mrfatpocket

mrfatpocket New Member

the "pet store" i bought my BP from told me that they ordered thier snakes from a breeder just out of province, so i called them on it. I asked them who the breeder was and contacted that breeder to see if it rang true. Turns out the store was telling the truth and the breeder told me if i had any problems to contact him and hed help me with whatever issues i had. I suppose i just got lucky and found a good , honest storekeep

23. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

mrfatpocket, Even our local superpet uses breeders as local as possible. They don't get animals shipped from 'head office'.