Question on housing whites together

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Eric4242, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Eric4242

Eric4242 Embryo

Are whites known to try and eat smaller whites? I have 2, one is roughly 1/2 the size of the larger one. Is this an absolute no-no to house them together when there is a size difference? If this is a grey area depending on size I would be happy to take a pic of the two frogs so I can get some opinions.

Thanks for reading.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crusty1

crusty1 Member

yessum...canabilism is known with whites...your question...not an absolute nono, but id want the smaller one to be a bit bigger...just in case...keep them separate till the small one gets alittle bigger....cause whites have BIG mouths as u know........try feeding him gutloaded BIG crix, and waxworms and stuff....we'd love to c some pics btw

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Overfeeding him will just lead to obesity, it won't necessarily help him catch up in real size. If you had pics comparing their sizes, that would be helpful. But if the one really is half the size of the other, I'd separate them for safety. The larger one may not be able to actually eat the smaller one, but he could do some damage all the same.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. crusty1

crusty1 Member

oh ya...lol my bad...i forgot whites are prone to obesity, cause there so lazy lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Eric4242

Eric4242 Embryo

Ok thanks much for the advice folks, ill put a pic up shortly so you can see.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. crusty1

crusty1 Member

goodstuff

12. Eric4242

Eric4242 Embryo

Here they are. I have them together tonight but ive been stressing out about it. They seem to be fine together but im just not sure yet..Any other opinions now that I posted a pic?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. crusty1

crusty1 Member

hmmmmmm,....i dunno, they seem to be on that borderline of yes and no lol...are they different sex's? can u tell...i dunno...id separate them for the time being tho...its a close call

14. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

the only thing you would need to watch if you had them together is one(the bigger one) eating all the food... From the look of it they are not over sized and I don't think there would be an issue of the big one eating the little one... just make sure that they are both getting enough food.... also I have seen smaller whites in with about the same size as your bigger one with no problems that being said I don't own one (I will be getting frogs in the near future and have been doing a lot of research about different types)... by the way beautiful frogs... Don't take my advice untill someone conferms it I don't see any issue other then the food bullying but let someone with whites/more knowledge answer aswell so for now I would seperate them... also did you buy them together or are you adding the smaller one if you are adding you should have the new frog in quarintine for a month anyways if you dont know that already

15. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'm not really concerned with one eating the other. If they are being housed together, you run the risk of disease spread, etc, so that's my main concern. If they're already being housed together and you have a good sized tank, then I think they should be okay. I always recommend that animals be housed separately just for safety's sake, but in the end it's up to the owner's discretion. But like I said, eating each other - not really the issue. As was mentioned earlier, watch them carefully to make sure they are both eating well.

16. Eric4242

Eric4242 Embryo

Ok thanks for all the responses from everyone. I have them both in a 25gal tall and they seem to be doing fine so far. Actually the small frog seems to be eating a good deal more than the large one, the big guy is very clumsy and misses the crickets 90% of the time. Im worried about this and am going to try cooling the crickets down before I feed him so hopefully he wont have such a hard time catching them. I tried to feed him small mealworms because of this but he wont even consider them (I searched the internet and to the best of my finding mealworms are ok for whites).

About spreading disease.. I realise your point and take it as a lesson learned, to be honest I have had the smaller of the frogs for a few months and just recently got the larger frog. I feel guilty now but I only had him for a day before I put them together. Ive never delt with communal types of animals so honestly it didnt even cross my mind to quarantine him first.

17. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

Well you can still do so... There might be nothing wrong with your new frog however 30 days is a good time to see if the new frog is healthy if you leave it in an the new one is sick you may not have any frogs when your done but if you have a resources I would keep them appart for about a month... and if you can in seperate rooms... but its your choice