question?

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by alfonso305, Dec 21, 2007.

1. alfonso305

alfonso305 Embryo

I have a 5 1/2 ft burmese python, I live in west new york, nj. Is it illegal for me to have her I brung her with me from miami. I have had her since she was a foot long about 6 yrs now. Can i have her in my house or do i need a permit or something.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Where are you exactly? The laws vary but I know in NYS you need a permit for a Burmese (Retics, some Morelia, venomous etc). Here is the contact information:
    Special Licenses Unit
    NYSDEC
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4752
    (518)402-8985
    I know the fines are hefty and if you get caught they will take the snake until you get your permit in order, which can take a while. You would be looking at the fines, the permit charge and daily charges from the local animal shelter for keeping it...it would not be worth risking not getting one! Recently a 7' Burm was found wandering the streets where I am, the guy reported it missing because it was feeding time and he was worried. They found the little fella in the middle of the street one night. Anyway, the guy didn't have a permit so it took him months to get one and to get all the fees together to get his snake back...well into the thousands of dollars.
    I just googled NJ snake laws and nothing came up, call your local town hall though, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. alfonso305

alfonso305 Embryo

Re: RE: question?

yeah but i don't live in NY i live in new jersey the city is west new york but is in jersey is it the same thing...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

RE: Re: RE: question?

LOL...sorry, I thought you were giving a general area! :oops:
    I didn't find anything when I looked for NJ so you are going to have to call the local town hall or state government offices.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. alfonso305

alfonso305 Embryo

RE: Re: RE: question?

thanz very much... :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. gaelic

gaelic Embryo

you shouldnt do that, burm can be very dangerous, but i guess 6feet burmese is ok??