Questions about breeding.

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Amnesia, Jul 4, 2005.

1. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

I think most people can read it and see what happened, the last comment tells a lot and there is some good info here for others.

I know that John is a bit rubbed by this subject personally. He has two dragons that are closely related and planned on breeding them together. They are beautiful dragons and should produce some fine offspring as they come from Dana at Sundial, (Dana is very conscious about avoiding inbreeding and produces some good genetic stock) Personally I do not feel his dragons should be breed together, they are too close..... that's doing the exact thing this thread is against... so he is taking it personally and wants to believe it is okay to inbreed or at least convince others that the dragons are not affected by it. This is what I meant by some plow on ahead even when they are made aware of the problems with bearded dragon inbreeding... its their personal choice.

His opinions are as welcome here as anyone else's opinion... and subject to the same rules that are posted on the forum, rudeness will be edited or deleted and users warned. I have nothing personal against him or what he has said, although much of it is guessing, wrong or obviously not understanding what dragons lines are working here, this thread alone and some comments show that. Those are things that someone learns as they become more knowledgable about the lines here and where they come from. But then, I hope he has also learned something from it, it appeared he had earlier and maybe later he will learn more too. :)

I do believe that everyone can learn, including me
    I do not think that happens here, typo's are a part of the internet and it happens.. people I have found can read typo well, we do discourage chat speak as it is hard for others to understand and looks like the person is extremely uneducated. We also know that some people just do not see what is right in front of them no matter how many times they see it over and over agai... even the "elite" that can be taught nothing more.

Oh, my name is spelled CheriS, not Sheri :)

BTW, very interesting

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

May be I missed something in the translation, but what does being a self professed "elite" in the computer world have anything to do with reptile breeding?
    Didn't know he was a seasoned beardie keeper or a seasoned member either. Kephy, I would still continue to link this thread as it still is indeed informative as to the plight of the vigor of beardies that many people may not want to aknowledge for personal conveniences. People will judge the comments based on experience, expertise and maturity.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kephy

kephy Moderator

See, I wasn't bothered by his opinions, whether I disargee or not. I just thought the personal attacks were uncalled for, even the ones before you started biting back. That's why, if it were my judgement, I'd have done something by the time they started getting particularly nasty. But hey you've got more say than me, and since they were directed at you I figure you can handle it. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CheriS

kavinos

England. like Germany has been pretty good about keeping diversity in the lines there. With such healthy stock in the past there, many breeders in the US the last few years have brought some dragons over from England to shore up the gene pool here. I do worry that so many US dragons are making their way to England now, including some breeders that mass inbreed and one that has shipped in many ill and diseased animals to the US and other countries... now sending them to England also.

Have you ever checked out the Livefood.UK forum? they have some interesting Sticky post on there about adenovirus and info on a vet now set up in the UK for testing for it. I think if you read it, it will also give you some indicators where the problems are coming from.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CheriS

Kephy,

LOL You forget I work with troubled kids and we know how to get them to expose what they really are or as some call it, their hand.

Most people around here very long know what I do for a living and know that I did not fall off a turnip truck to get there, so who is really insulting themselves. I have never felt the need to proclaim an education, IQ, or ability, most people I know do not need to.

Here, I am a humble dragon keeper learning more from them each day and telling others...so if I have to learn from an animal on the lower end of the food and evolutionary chain, I have a long way to go to be Elite and know more than my teacher :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. liza714

liza714 Member

John-

You and I have had words before as well. I agree you are an intelligent man but you come off as a bit self-agrandizing. Your abilities as a computer engineer are not in question but neither are they particularly relavant to the discussion at hand. When you get off your high horse I am sure you can do alot to help the breeding situation instead of finding a way to rationalize your own breeding program that you KNOW isn't a great idea. Yes alot of people breed related animals that know better, I would like to think you are not one of them.

P.S. As I teach the occasional college level class myself I can honestly say I have only told one student that I had nothing more to teach her. This was not due to her stunning intellect but her inability to absorb anything that didn't make her feel as if she was the smartest person in the world.

Cheri-

All i can say is "lower end of the food chain"?? LOL I dont eat reptiles they are rubbery. Also if you are learning from them and I am learning from you does that make me even lower on the food chain? hmm...

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

I guess he doesn't want to stand by what he has written. :? That does day it all, IMO.

13. CheriS

Lisa,

LMAO.. let be thankful we made it past the single cell amoeba's, at least we have a hunting ground

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

Dragon legs do kinda look like little tiny chicken legs. :twisted:

15. liza714

liza714 Member

Jeez Amanda lemme send you a coupon for some KFC. NO nibbling on Domo!!

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

lol :)