Questions about my iguana...(Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Jimmylee11, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

Not Growing 4 some reason

My Iguana hasn't been growing since i've bought her,which was about 8 months ago.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

My Iguana Looks diffrent?

My Iguana has a brown head for some reason i dunno what its from but we do just have a 75 gallon tank with a box in it so she can go in....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

What should i feed my iguana?

What should my iguana eat other than lettuce because i read that you should feed them diffrent stuff but i tried bannans and green-beans and everything but she just wont eat it ...and the bannas dry up in one day from my heat lamp...so what should i feed her?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

Heating my iguana?

My iguana has a heat lamp heating pad and heating rock is that too much or do i need more?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

Heat rocks?

my iguana is 8 months old is it alright 4 her to use a little heating pad...shes still not very big yet?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

RE: Heat rocks?

As long as your using good lighting to provide decent basking spots, you should be good... Make sure the basking spot is between 85-95 F. You also need a temperature gradient within your tank. How big is the tank your housing him in now?

12. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

RE: Heating my iguana?

I would personally lose the heat rock... they're not recommended for use in keeping reptiles. They can develop hot spots and burn your iguana. Iguanas tend to not move when they are overheated, causing them to get very sick. Long story short, lose the hot rock.

13. Carl_an__Pepsi

Carl_an__Pepsi New Member

RE: Heating my iguana?

DON'T USE THE HEAT ROCK!! A hot rock will burn you're ig in no time. A heat lamp and heating pad is good though :)

14. Wolfcry

Wolfcry New Member

heating

As everyone will tell you throw the heat rock away, now the temp issue. Cant say whether the lamp is enough or not enough not knowing what the enclosure temps are. I personally use electronic /digital thermometers as well as thermostats for regulating the heat. Do you know your temps?

15. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

i had a 75 gallon tank but it cracked so now shes in like a 30gallon

16. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

Sugar in water?

This kid at my school told me that he has a big iggy and that he puts a tsp of water into his iggy's water bowl...has any1 else heard anything about this....and how will it effect ur iggy?

17. GermanJuggernaught

GermanJuggernaught New Member

RE: Sugar in water?

you mean sugar? NO, dont do it, its all fats, can cause liver problems!!

18. GermanJuggernaught

way to small of a tank you have her in! your gonna need a custom made enclosure

19. GermanJuggernaught

RE: What should i feed my iguana?

put the food on the cool side of the tank. it will take time for it to try it out. look in the care sheet section of this site. you should know all of this in advance of owning a reptile. just lettuce isnt good. regular salad lettuce dosent have any nutritional value. you should try romain collards and mustard greens, a variety is best. you have to give her time, try hand feeding

20. GermanJuggernaught

RE: Not Growing 4 some reason

are you feeding her right? a variety what about the supplements? the calcium and vit suplements are needed. heating? what about your cage? substrate? lighting? size? i think in another thread you said 30 gallon... WAY TOO SMALL!!!! bathing? is she impacted, have you taken her to a vet for her first exam? a fecal? anything?

21. GermanJuggernaught

RE: heating

you need to know your temps... in the cage, have a thermal gradient, and aboce all have a basking spot. heat pads dont do much for iggys i know

22. GermanJuggernaught

RE: My Iguana Looks diffrent?

is she shedding right? we need more details than just what the size of the aquarium... and a box. we need to know all about your setup, lighting and feeding habits

23. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

RE: Sugar in water?

yeah lol sugar...ok i won't do it then

24. Jimmylee11

Jimmylee11 New Member

how big does the tank need to be she's only 14 inches ...and very small stomach shes still like a baby

25. GermanJuggernaught

like ive said before this is basic info that can be answered on the care sheets