Questions about new Collard Lizard

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by stina3246, May 23, 2005.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I just bought a collard lizard from a pet store. All their animals look healthy and well cared for. They told me he was wild caught so he'll be going to the vet ASAP. He seem almost too docile and as soon as I put him down he ran straight up my arm again) I went home..did some research and decided to get him. They said if he acted sick at all to let thewm know right away. 2 things though.
    1 Does he looks aweful fat.....they seem to be very chunky lizards anyway but look.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    2.I can't find a good care sheet....any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nomad85

nomad85 Member

i googled it and found this, do a google search and you'll fin mcuh more info, you can apply most beardie keeping practices to these guys, with some modifications.
    good luck. I'm pretty sure they are always chubby:)

Collared lizards make excellent captives as long as their basic requirements are met. These lizards are very active and you can not give them enough room. Adult lizards should be kept in at least a forty gallon aquarium. These lizards are very territorial, no more than one male and two females should be kept together. Sand makes an excellent substrate. Collared lizards are saxicolous so rocks piles make natural basking sites. If more than one lizard is to be caged together, make several basking sites. Be careful that the rocks can not come down on the lizards when they dig around them. Like most lizards, collared lizards require ultraviolet light. Use a full-spectrum fluorescent bulb along with a incandescent bulb above the basking site. For healthy and colorful lizards, natural sunlight is a must. Collared lizards like it hot. Their basking site should be between 100 and 105 degrees. The rest of their cage should be in the high 80's to 90's during the day. Some individuals will drink from a water bowl, but most will only drink from water droplets. Mist the rocks and glass in their enclosure to stimulate drinking every few days. Collared lizards eat a lot and can be fed daily. Crickets are the most convenient food source available. It is best to feed them a variety of insects. It is always fun to watch them catch flying insects in midair. Some individuals will also eat lizards and pinkies.

Captive bred lizards do excellent as captives. Wild caught lizards don't always do as well. Many die from the stress of being taken from their natural environment. They are usually loaded ticks, chiggers, nematodes, and other parasites. Wild caught lizards will often rub their nose raw trying to escape. If the lizard doesn't adapt, it

will go off feed until it is too weak to move. It will lose weight and wither away over a period of several weeks. Once this has started, it is almost impossible to turn them around. Collared lizards are fairly easy to breed in captivity. They must hibernate at least a month and can be left in this state for several months. Two weeks before hibernation, stop feeding them so their stomachs will be empty. Turn off the heat sources and slowly cool the lizards down to between 40 to 55 degrees. If your room doesn't stay cool enough to induce hibernation, you can hibernate them in the refrigerator. Use a thermometer to regulate the temperature. Because the refrigerator will dehydrate the lizards, I put them in plastic shoe boxes with damp sand as a substrate. I also keep a small bowl of water in with them. Check them every few days and mist the sand down as it dries.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stina3246

stina3246 Member

Thanks for the info....I may not be typing it in right on google. I can find collard lizards but it's usually just a quick description and basic care but nothing extensive. I'll try again.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. summit_queen

summit_queen Embryo

Looks good

I live in Southern Utah where there are collared lizards running around in the hills everywhere. I catch quite a few every summer but always let them go. He looks perfectly healthy. They will be very docile until you give them the chance to get loose. Be exspecially careful outside. Collared lizards, or as we call them here "Ring Necks" always look like they have a pot belly and their little hip bones almost sticking out, that is healthy. You should get a good UV light and a good chunk of sandstone to set underneath it. That is what they bask on every morning here. Also give him the largest terrarium you can. They like room to run and when they do have room to get up to speed they run on their hind legs and look hilarious. If you have anymore questions just post them and I'll try to answer them. Good luck with the little guy.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stina3246

stina3246 Member

He's got an 8.0 UV and a tight spot basking light with rocks. He's in a 20 long right now but he'll get a bigger one as soon as we get settled in from our move. I decided to name him Spyro since I've been told by a few people....."Yup, It's definitely a female" and another group of people....."It's a male for sure." Spyro sounds pretty nuetral. I think he's a she because he has no bright colors......or does that matter?
    Thanks for the info.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bluenewt

bluenewt New Member

You have a female. The boys have blue colors in them.

12. stina3246

stina3246 Member

That's kind of what I thought. I've been calling her a her. Her name is Spyro. (I figured that was good for a boy or girl......just in case.)