Questions about raising and breeding Superworms

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by mindylex, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mindylex

mindylex Embryo

I have been researching about breeding superworms for my leo. I just have a few questions that i could not find the answers for and i was hoping that maybe someone here could help.

1. how long will the superworms live in a "community" setting ( i know they need to be isolated to turn in to pupa).

2. how many beetles would I need to make sure they breed (does temp matter in determining if the beetle will be male or female)

3. Will the beetles eat the eggs or can i leave them in with the eggs till they die?

Thanks for any help :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. AquaCentaur101

AquaCentaur101 Embryo

My girlfriend is currently on her first attempt of breeding supers, she's got I think 3 beetles now and 2 pupae (we originally had 6, one died) which will turn next week or something... We haven't got any eggs yet, but we have the beetles in a plastic drawer with sawdust, waiting for them to get to it. She knows more about the bugs than I do, so she might have a better answer than me; I can ask her later. Otherwise, you can wait for our beetles to finish, wait for someone else to reply, or conduct an experiment on your own. :) Good luck

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i would always pick out 10 or so from every batch and just house them alone until they turned into beetles then let them live together and breed i always left everyone together in a room that got just a little lower than 80