Questions on which to choose.

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Pterodactyl, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl New Member

I've never owned a lizard before and I'm very interested in getting one. I have narrowed it down to either a Water Dragon or an Iguana. I was just wondering what was so different about them and which would be better for a beginner. I've heard water dragons are somewhat easier since they don't become as vicious as some iguana's can. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

neither one is really a good starter lizard. i think iggys tame easier but they can still be aggressive and since they need salads so often they can be harder to feed since you need to keep going into the grocery store. not to mention both need very large enclosures. have you looked into leopard or crested geckos?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

or even better... the BEARDED DRAGON!!! they are awesome, and they are cheaper than the iggys and Chinese Water Dragons. They can be kept in a 40-50 gallon (depending on size), and they eat a small salad and like 10 crickets a day. You have to give them a little bit more attention, but its really worth it. If you don't like the bearded dragon, there is the leopard gecko and the crested gecko like Shanna66 said.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

If you've never owned either a reptile before, than a CWD or Iguana wouldn't be good choice. They get so big, and require much more maintenance (and spending) then most other reptiles. Especially if this is your first lizard, then I'd definitely go with a leopard gecko, or a crested gecko. Dogking mentioned a bearded dragon; these are much more work than either a leo or crestie, and require more space. The reason people usually recommend them is temperament. They are very social animals who enjoy the company of humans. But, like I said, they require a lot of work and there are lots of things that could go wrong for an un-experienced herper. I honestly think I couldn't care for one. XD So, again, I recommend a leopard or crested gecko. I have a leopard gecko, and love her to death. <33 Both are very hardy species, and make an excellent pet for new and experienced reptile enthusiasts alike. If you're thinking about a leopard gecko, try reading the one that we have on here (probably the best online care-sheet I've seen XD). Go to the Leopard Gecko forums, it's a stickied thread (top of the page, in blue). If you ever want to know anything, don't be afraid to ask!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Firstly, welcome to the forums Pterodactyl! Welcome to the lovely world of reptiles! = )

I think, really, a couple of questions are in order:

While I don't think a CWD or an Iguana is a particularly good beginner reptile, we should really look at the devotion and what you are willing to do to properly accomodate the animal. I know plenty of people who started with big, non-beginner animals with great success if you have the time, space, cash, and know-how to be well prepared for them. We don't necessarily need "training wheels" per se in rearing reptiles, although starting off small is always a much easier option.

-What are you look for in a pet reptile/lizard? Something you can handle? Something you can observe? I know you say you've narrowed it down, but perhaps we can expose you to other options. Nothing necessarily wrong with the choices you've made, but its always nice to take a look at all of the available options before coming to an ultimate decision = )

-What is your budget?

-How much time do you have to devote to the animal?

-How much space do you have for the animal? Can you accomodate a very large, potentially elaborate enclosure once it becomes an adult? While small igs and CWD's can live happily in aquaria, these guys do get BIG. A 6' x 3' x 6' enclosure is the bare minimum for an adult iguana, and larger is always appreciated!

A have limited experience with either species; so I can't give input on personality and behavior traits. But if these are the two options you are absolutely devoted to and you can accomodate their needs, we have members who keep both species that can hopfully chime in with their experiences = )

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I agree whole-heartedly with the other posters in saying that neither a CWD nor an iguana is the best choice for a beginner lizard. That's not to say it can never be done, but it will take a lot of responsibility (not to mention money) to start off with one successfully. As Jeff mentioned, the bare minimum sized enclosure for a single adult CWD or iguana is 6 feet long, 3 feet deep, 6 feet tall. Iguanas usually get a little bigger than the water dragons, and may require even more space than that if they hit the 5-6 foot range (head to tip of tail). Also, water dragons require a water space large enough for them to fully submerge themselves in. The water space should take up 1-2 thirds of the bottom of the cage. The depth of the water does not count towards the minimum height of the cage. In other words, the cage needs to be 6 feet tall from the surface of the water. Water dragons are also insectivorous, which means you will have to deal with keeping live foods in addition to the lizard itself. On the other hand, an ig will require you to prepare fresh salads daily. So, as far as feeding, they probably balance out in terms of difficulty. I have never heard anything about water dragons being less aggressive than iguanas. Most of what I've read and been told by keepers of each species has implied that they have pretty much the same temperament. Both are equally prone to aggression if not interacted with on a daily basis, and can cause serious damage with a meaningful bite or whip of the tail. I've never dealth with iguanas personally, so I can't speak for them. However, I do deal with juvenile CWDs, and even the juveniles can be very temperamental at times. I imagine they are much testier when they start to reach sexual maturity. Like I said, in terms of care and temperament, iggies and CWDs seem to balance out, so I wouldn't say one is better for a beginner than the other. Both are going to be equally challenging and financially demanding.

As the other posters have mentioned, there are much better species of lizards for beginners. Leopard and crested geckos are ideal because they do not require huge enclosures, nor do they require UVB lighting, which cuts your expenses and efforts a little bit. They also have simpler dietary needs, and are not prone to aggression in the slightest. A bearded dragon would be better than an ig or CWD, but still takes a lot of time, space, and especially money to care for.

Whichever lizard you decide to go with, make sure you do plenty of research on their needs before getting one. Don't rely on pet store workers for you information, as they are usually misinformed, or worse, are simply trying to make a sale without regards to the animal's well-being. Literature and the internet will provide you with an overabundance of information, so read, read, and read some more before making a decision. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! We are happy to help. =)

dogking, Eme Demiri and яowan.ω like this.
  12. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

I agree with all these posts as well. A CWD or an iguana are not the best choice for your first pet. they are actually some of the most high maintenance reptiles. Leopeard Geckos and Cresties are a great starter pet, and beautiful to look at. You have to consider how much time/effort and $$ you are willing to put into it. Iguanas and CWD can get a little pricey to maintain, considering they need such large enclosers. They also need to be checked on at least twice a day for misting/feeding/cleaning etc.
    BUTTT .... If you heart is set on one of these lizards... Just take the time to learn there proper care and maintenance. CWD are quite the entertainers and almost never bite. And poor Iguanas, They just get sooo darn big, I would feel bad to even put an animal of that size in a tank. Don't let the cheap price fool you ! people often get Iguanas because of there price. Then realize there maintenance is just too much.

яowan.ω likes this.
  13. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

yes, I agree with everyone else, a Leo or crestie would be best even though I have Green iguanas. But I also have Leos and they are cheap, easy to care for, very tame and interesting and I also have a Crestie and it is quite neat!

14. Sharman Wisdom

yeah my adult iguana has her own room and outside she has a big cage.

15. supernova

supernova Member

My iguanas want to visit your iguana...lol (to mild on Oregon coastline for outside cage). I suppose in a few years it will be time for me to move into the garage and let them have the master bedroom with walk in closets.

16. Sharman Wisdom

From March to Nov my iguanas, beardies, monitor and BT skink spend out doors in the AZ sunshine. My husband and I have a four bedroom, ranch house with no kids! One room is for all my herps and my adult iguana has free roam of the room. My juvenile iguana has a big cage in the office.

17. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl New Member

Oh wow, thank you guys so much for your help, you've given me a lot of great suggestions. As for the questions to me; I know that the lizards can get quite big and I had planned on getting a decently sized cage. I don't want to keep having to buy more and more cages as it gets bigger, that would take too much money and then I would have a bunch of cages lying around. Also, I currently live in a two story, three bedroom house that is rather spacious so once they grew, letting them out to roam would be alright since the house is big.

I did some research before I came to this site and had a base idea of what was needed as for lighting and food and the amount of space required to house one. I'm currently saving up now to be able to get all that I'll need for it. I was looking for something that would be easier to handle which is why I wanted to go with the iggy or CWD. I am a fan of the beardi's also but they didn't seem like they would be too well too handle, but that's just my idea based on observing them lol

I wanted something that would live for quite awhile and the sizing of the lizards was a draw to me. I think they are fascinating creatures. I've been looking into the idea of getting a lizard for awhile and finally feel comfortable with taking on the task (mostly since now my house is way bigger than my previous one). But I am interested in all types of lizards and wouldn't mind getting something smaller to start with, but my ultimate goal is a CWD or an Iggy. Those are my two favorites.

I may look into the gecko's as an option. I don't know that much about them. I've mainly been focused on what it would take to raise one of the larger lizards. It's such a hard decision, they are all so awesome creatures!!

dogking and JEFFREH like this.
  18. яowan.ω

Lol, no problem. =D
    Actually, a beardie would be easier to handle, and enjoy it more, then either a CWD or an iggy. I think you could definitely get one after you've had a bit of experience with some other species. :3
    Leopard geckos can live up to a little over twenty years if you don't breed them (which can nearly halve their lifespan). Some leos have even exceeded thirty years. With frequent handling, they can learn to tolerate being picked up (blaaah, I need another word for handling) and I've found that mine recognizes me.
    I know next to nothing about crested geckos. All I know is that they're a good beginner gecko, and are fun to look at.
    I read an article in REPTILES magazine, fire salamanders sound pretty easy to keep. :3 A little difficult to get captive-bred individuals, though. I'll see if I can scan the care sheet they published and upload it.

19. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It's good to hear that you've done a good deal of research prior to making a decision, hope you didn't feel offended in any way by our suggestions. I tend to see a substantial amount of "impulse buys" on the larger lizards while they are young, which results in many older animals that are either neglected or end up in rescue systems and foster homes. Knowing that you will be so devoted to the next pet that you will be accepting into your family gives a peace of mind that you can handle and accomodate whatever your heart desires. Be sure to evaluate all of your options thoroughly, and ultimately choose the pet that you truly want = )

I can't speak from experience on iggy's or CWD's, but I can speak from experience when I say beardies are extremely personable and intelligent reptiles. They're extremely responsive to their owners - and care advances have them living into the 10+ years of age range , possibly 15+ with new husbandry practices that are resulting in longer lived, healthier animals. Babies can be a handful; consuming massive amounts of insect matter for the first year or so of their life, but once they become adults their diet consists substantially of salad items and insects are fed only on occasion.

While young beardies can be flighty (any young reptile is usually nervous of humans), sub-adult and adult animals that have grown accustomed to handling calm down dramatically. They make great lap pets, will readily snuggle up and sleep in blankets and soft clothing, and are still somewhat adventurous when they feel like it (they don't always just have to sit there). My beardie is more personable than any small mammal or other reptile I have ever owned...

Here's a quote from Cheri Smith; I'll also link you to our Bearded Dragon care portal with a number of great articles on how to properly care for these guys. Just to explore your options = ) not trying to push you one way or another in your desicion, but want to be sure you have a multitude of options!

"Beardies are considered the most social to humans of all the reptiles and can display many personality traits not common in reptiles, but rather that of mammals. Their natural calmness and ease when handled have made them the most popular of the lizard family today. "
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/index.php?categoryid=17&p142_id=105&p142_dis=3&p142_template=Simple

яowan.ω likes this.
  20. яowan.ω

If I can't have a beardie, nobody can! -Pout, pout-

21. Shanna66

water dragons usually dont tend to do well with handling unless you work with them alot. beardies i have to say are the most personable of any cold blooded animal ive ever seen. i had one as my first reptile and i could take her on walks on a leash, she would beg to be taken out and held and would go out of her way to sit in my lap. if you want something thats great with being bothered all the time then a beardy should be one of the main lizards you look into :)

also if your up for the challenge you could look into frilled dragons, they need pretty much the same care as a cwd and can be amazing pets if you work with them, otherwise they can be little terrors lol.

then there are tegus. i think that black and white tegus are also very people friendly, at least thats what ive been told, ive never really looked into them

22. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl New Member

I didn't realize the beardi's were so people friendly. I was interested in them at first but I was slightly intimidated by them. I suppose they look more difficult than they really are lol Although outside of a pet store I'm not sure where I would get one. I'd like to get a smaller one to start off with, to be able to watch it fully mature. And the only place I found around me that had baby beardi's was petco. Where would be the best places to find a lizard?

23. Shanna66

reptile expo hands down

24. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

A good place to get a personal look is a Reptile Show nearest you; what state do you live in? Or if you don't feel comfortable providing that information, perhaps a general area of the country? I can give you a list of expo dates and location applicable that you may like to check out.

Another option is Online Breeders/Classifieds. There are a few pros and cons to this:

Pros:
    -Individual dragons are often much more reasonably priced that pet stores who often charge an arm and a leg for an animal. Although it levels out once shipping is tacked on...

-Quality stock from a reliable source. Your dragon is coming straight from a reputable breeder who has put a lot a time and work into his breeding goals and the care of the animal prior to getting to you. Most pet stores provide bare minimum care, and receive stock from "puppy-mill" like breeders and a middleman.

-More colors and patterns ('Morphs') to choose from. While pet stores typically only stock the wildtype, brown colored animals, beardie breeders have amassed quite an array of brilliantly colored animals through selective breeding. There are dragons that are bright red, orange, yellow, even white (leucistic). You do pay more for a more brilliantly colored specimen.

-Can often see pictures of parents, receive guarantees and genetic background; often more personable situation in seeing where the dragon came from, date hatched, etc.

Cons:
    -Can only see pictures (sometimes video) of the animal before purchase. This is a benefit (along with no shipping fee) of shows as you can sometimes find good breeders and still be able to physically pick and animal out.

-Shipping fee. The animal has to be sent to you overnight, usually costs $35-50 on top of the price of the animal.

I can provide a few websites of reputable beardie breeders if you'd like to browse their sites and get a feel for whats out there = )

dogking, яowan.ω and Eme Demiri like this.
  25. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl New Member

That sounds awesome! I would be interested in breeder sites/and or expos since I haven't been able to find anything on my own. Also, I live in the St. Louis, MO area. And I agree, petco is selling beardi's for about $60 and they don't have that much of a colorful variety. It would be nice to find a breeder in the area and be able to go and physically see which one I would be taking home, but I know that isn't always an option. I have to admit that this whole experience is quite exciting = )

Eme Demiri likes this.