R.I.P spikes

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by geckolover22, Sep 4, 2011.

1. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

never thought i'd have to post on this part of the forum... but sadly my lil bro's beardie spikes left us we've had problems with this lil one since day one he got better in a week then ultimately took a dive for the worse... uncontolable shakes and refusal of food i uped the intake of calcium and took him out for unfiltered sun didnt do much for him..both sad and upset we couldnt take him to the vet as it being pretty far away the cost and how busy we are trying to move at the moment...i dont know if i did the right thing we put him down because he was suffering...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

*Tackle-hug*

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I'm so sorry for your loss and i'm sure there was nothing else you really could have done sadly :(

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. geckolover22

thanks... i still think maybe he coulda pulled through somehow... my lil brother was crying for his lizard and even made a chain reaction cry in my other brother...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. geckolover22

what we we're told a humane way to euthanize the poor lizard is to put him in the freezer... is that really a good way?? i would think not but my dad said so we should..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

I don't know. >.> Doesn't sound as humane, as, say, breaking their neck. But I've heard a lot of people say that.

12. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

i have heard that too and i would be torn 2 do the same thing since no vets live close enough 2 me and it would cost 2 much, but breaking there neck might be more humane, but still a horrible experience for whoever has 2 do it :( it really sucks that there aren't that many options sometimes

13. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Well...this is awkward, but someone has to be the bad guy. D= Freezing an animal that hasn't already been anaesthetized is actually specifically recognized by the AVMA as an inhumane euthanasia technique. Ice crystals will form on the skin while the animal is still concious--obviously not a pleasant experience. Have you ever tried to hold onto a piece of dry ice for an extended period of time? It hurts. I can't imagine having that feeling over my entire body before I died. I don't know if you already froze the beardie, but please never do so in the future. I know you had the best intentions and am very sorry for your loss. =(

Scroll down to page 20 for specifics on reptile euthanasia:
    http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/euthanasia.pdf

14. geckolover22

never again if thats the case...we didnt know our reptile friend told me we should...

15. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Yeah, it's a common misconception. At least you know now. =)

geckolover22 likes this.
  16. geckolover22

thank u so much for the info