Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Samael, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

burms are goregous in their own right...but i'm not allowed to have any of those either..sigh

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. uaxhuh

uaxhuh New Member

i love rainbow boas, and im definitely considering getting one in the future. :] but someone told me that they dont make good pets... im assuming thats false after reading all this?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

they are not beginner snakes, not at all

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. uaxhuh

uaxhuh New Member

i know, but that meaning theyre hard to care for or theyre really pissy snakes? or both?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

Re: RE: Rainbow Boa

You know the blood will also eat rabbits too. Might want to look into breeding them. LOL I have a blood right now but hes an 06 baby so. Some day I want to get an Albino Burm for sure though when I get the room.

As for your question uaxhuh......That meaning the rainbows require more husbandry. You have to make sure the humidity stays high and the temps between 80-85F. I keep mine around 82/83F. As for humidity I have him a tight enclosure with limited ventilation. A big water bowl on heat mat side, misted once a day or every other, and kept on bark to hold humidity.

As for being nippy they are notorious for that but my rainbow is extremely docile. Not even a nip from him or my blood which is another notorious nippy snake

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Rainbow Boa

that's hotter than I keep my BRB. She's got a warm side of about 80, but she is always on the cool side, which is around 72-75.

ad uaxuh, the care requirements for BRB's are MUCH more exacting than that of most 'popular' snake species. Plus they can be hard to switch over to F/T and the babies are notoriously nippy

12. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

I just went by with the breeder kept them at and he said long as they are under 85 it will be ok and 90 can cause serious problems. He is a respectable breeder so I trust him.

From everyone I hear they are notorious for being nippy and hard to switch to F/T. He starts them out on F/T so I scored big there and dont have to worry about it. If you are serious about getting one uaxhuh look for a breeder that says hes been feeding F/T.

13. uaxhuh

uaxhuh New Member

sweet, thanks guys. cuz yea, i think theyre such beautiful snakes