Rat challenge- HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Naomi, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Hi, I've got a 3 year old Diamond Python, approx 1.75 - 2m in length and maybe 4" girth at thickest part. I fed her a large rat this evening, maybe 3 hours ago and she is STILL attempting to get it down. I originally panicked that she had gotten "stuck" when I first saw that she had it just over a quarter of the way down her mouth (eating it from the bum up unfortunately), and wriggled it to check and she spat what she had out, but coiled even tighter around her prey and told me off with some pretty loud hissing and aggressive motions.
    She is refusing to give up, and is trying it anew now, but I am worried that maybe I should take it away from her (but this will end in much bloodshed - MINE!!! she is aggro as hell). What should I do? I didn't think it was an unreasonably sized meal, as she can usually take at least 2 of the rats on size down from this, and its maybe only an inch thicker than normal girth wise. AT the moment thinking of letting her work it out for the rest of the night and pray she gives up if its a no go, otherwise we risk a trip to detangle a rat from her at the vets tomorrow.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Belletair

Belletair New Member

As long as the rat doesn't exceed in size the thickest part of the python's body, I don't see why there would be a problem. Some snakes take their time when eating, especially certain individual boas/pythons... so it's possible that could be it. (though three hours is a long while, so I'd make sure the rat isn't too large; just a double check, if you will)

How's she doing now?