rat snakes and corn snakes breeding?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Bodie, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Bodie

Bodie New Member

I have an albino corn and a pewter rat snake in the same tank..and I asked an expert herpetologist and he said it was fine. I was wondering if anyone has heard of these breeding well? He said that they would..but I have never heard of this sort of hybrid. Im assuming he knows what he is talking about since hes been working with snakes all his life and made a career out of it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

A rat snake and a corn snake can breed, they are in the same family.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ScreeminChikin

ScreeminChikin New Member

Re: RE: rat snakes and corn snakes breeding?

I agree with that but I dont agree with them being in the same tank being "fine".

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bodie

Bodie New Member

RE: Re: RE: rat snakes and corn snakes breeding?

Why not? They seem to be doing very well together right now. No problems during feedings or anything like that.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

RE: Re: RE: rat snakes and corn snakes breeding?

Well, most wouls tell you not to house 2 snakes together, regardless of sex or species.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ScreeminChikin

ScreeminChikin New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: rat snakes and corn snakes breeding?

Well there seem to be varying opinions on this but I would not hesitate to say that the overwhelming opinion is that each snake should have its own enclosure. There are many good reasons such as reduced stress on the snake and sickness that could be passed from snake to snake but I am not going to go into detail because a search on this forum will net more good reading on the subject than you can shake a stick at. I also gather that you feed your snakes together in their enclosure? Again I know there are poeple that do that but I like to feed in a seperate tub. It eliminates the possibility of the snake injesting the substrate in the tank as well as helping to snake to not associate your hand coming into the tank with food. Again, opinions vary but I find it interesting how some poeple give out bad advice and claim to be "experts". Pet store emplayees seem to be the worst in this respect. I have learned to take anything that someone claiming to be an expert says with a grain of salt and suggest doing your own research.

12. Bodie

Bodie New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: rat snakes and corn snakes breeding?

Well he actually is an expert. He is the curator of reptiles at a museum and has been studying herpetology since he was thirteen. I would say he knows his stuff for sure.

13. slackin

slackin Member

Chances are, nothing bad will happen when housing the two together, but don't be surprised if you come home one day and one has eaten the other. There's a chance that will happen and only you can decide wether it's worth the risk. The other issue is that it is a known fact that snakes prefer to be alone except when breeding. I personally would like my snakes to be as comfortable as I can possibly make them since they have zero choice but to accept whatever kind of care I give them and can't tell me if they don't like something. But that's just me.

14. Janice

You can't necessarily see stress. One of them may end up sick, or worse. It's your choice, and you decide if it's worth the risk.

15. Bodie

Bodie New Member

I guess I will try and put the rat snake up for adoption then

16. Nero

Nero New Member

go buy a cheap tank ?

17. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

yeah, you don't have to sell the rat snake just go and buy a cheap good quality tank and put the rat snake in the new tank.

18. favrefan12

favrefan12 Member

If you were thinking of getting a venemous snake snake you should be able to take care of a rat snake and a corn snake.

19. Janice

Agreed.