Really cool looking lizard, but what IS it?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by watchmaker, Nov 21, 2004.

1. watchmaker

watchmaker New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

looks like a chinese cave gecko (Goniurosaurus luii)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. watchmaker

watchmaker New Member

Ah, nice. I did a google search and it seems you are correct. Thanks Joe. I'm having trouble finding information on caring for them. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

- watchmaker

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. watchmaker

watchmaker New Member

Oh man! I must have one. Apparently they're like tropical leopard geckos! :-D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

they are nocturnal...and are very beautiful...there skin feels and looks a lot like velvet...they cant be kept in the same type of environment as leos ...they are beautiful.

12. tegu_girl0

tegu_girl0 New Member

I WANT HER!!!!!!!!!

13. watchmaker

watchmaker New Member

Since I posted I've done quite a bit of research and have decided to purchase 1.2 of them. Just to correct something that mickeydee said, they cannot be kept in the same type of environment as leos. They require a much cooler environment (between 70 and 80 degrees) and high humidity (between 60 - 80 percent). Anything outside of that range and they tend to become stressed. Many of the substrates of choice for leos (newspaper, repticarpet, and fine play sand) should not be used with G. luii because they do not retain water well. However, they do have some similarities. They can be housed in the same size enclosure, and they both require a hiding area.

14. tigor9117

tigor9117 New Member

you are not correcting him you are agreeing with him.

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yes he was correcting because mickeydee said that leos and chinese leos can be kept in the same enviornment, then watchmaker said how they require diferent temperatures and humidity; therefore he was correcting him

16. watchmaker

watchmaker New Member

Thanks for handlin that, KLiK :)

17. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

It looks like she said can't. anyways, they do look really cool. Let me know if you ever breed them, I would love a couple, but not to breed. Reptiles are so addictive, and now I know why you guys are always looking for 'something different'.

18. watchmaker

watchmaker New Member

Oh, wow, sorry mickeydee! I totally mis-read your post. And thanks tigor and Janice for pointing that out. And while I'm thanking people, thanks KLiK for stickin up for me! :)

19. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

yup once u get bit by that old herp bug u cant stop. I just got 2 leos in october and am already plotting out the next one.

20. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I want one of those, and there is probably no way to get one in Canada. I have the bug, and I really, really want one.

21. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

Thanks for stickin up for ME guys....and no problem watchmaker.
    We had some cave geckos for sale were I work....i shoulda got one when I had the chance...I think we sold out...I'm gonna check when I
    stop in today....they are really gorgeous.