Red Iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by MOblatoreSays, Feb 23, 2009.

1. MOblatoreSays

MOblatoreSays Embryo

ok heres the problem.

I have checked everywhere on red iguanas, its almost like they do not exist. what makes a red iguana? i pretty much wanna know everything about them cuz i just bought one. So please any info is helpful

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

Well, I have a red iguana, and basically, if you have a juvenile that is a rich red to red-orange color, then you have a true red iguana. Juvenile green iguanas are very, very rarely red.
    If you have an adult male, it can be hard to tell. Male green iguanas develope an orangish coloration sometimes.
    Red iguanas also tend to have longer tails compared to their body length. For instance, my red iguana is less than a year old, yet he is 24 inches long from his head to his tail. However, his body is only 8 inches long.
    Red iguanas also have a light green belly.
    Here are some photos of true red iguanas!

[​IMG]
    [Salvador, my young red iguana]

[​IMG]
    [Salvador in his bath!]

[​IMG]
    [Salvador looking very red...]

[​IMG]
    [Older red iguana..]

[​IMG]

Tell me what you think now :p

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. starmanp

starmanp Embryo

Nice red Iggy I used to have a red baby iguana but sadly it passed away.. I also have 3 Green Iguana's, 2 bearded dragons, red ear slider, and a leopard gecko, I just joined this site today was on another site for a while but no one post anything that much anymore... Red Iguana's a rare cant find them Pet-co only had 1 thats when i bought mine

Attached Files:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Moved to Iguana forum.
    -00luke00

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

AHA thankyou!! clarification at last!! my Iguana is also a RED. and looking at your pictures confirms it. :):D i have always wondered if she was green or red and nobody here knew either. said she was in season etc etc but after her major op (eggs removal and insides) she is STILL red all over.
    :)
    thanks
    Matt n Griz

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/625765/large

Attached Files:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

No problem!
    Your ig is very cute, by the way :)

12. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

thankyou ;) she is a cutie.

13. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Sorry to go off the subject a little but I was just wondering... are red and green iguana's different species or are they "morphs" like you get in leopard gecko's.
    I also found a picture of three iguanas the other day, one normal green one, one yellow one and a blue one... are these color morphs or is it photoshopped?

14. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i think they are different types of iguana, at least the blue ones are. there was a whole thing about somebody killing i think 6 blue iguanas? sorry im not more help at all, i just lurk in here sometimes

15. IguanaKing15

IguanaKing15 Embryo

They are morphs. Actually the "yellow" looking Iguanas are what they call albino iguanas and they are very expensive to purchase. I think they are selling for $1,200.00, but they do look really awesome!

16. Ryan1990

17. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

Red iguanas are a different kind of iguana... basically a relevent "breed" because they breed true to color. They are from different areas of the world than green iguanas and display some physical traits besides color that are also different. They are not a man-made morph, but they evolved over several thousand years to blend in to their surroundings. A green and red ig bred together produces brown igs. Their colors are seperate and co-dominate.
    .... Just like a doberman and a dalmation are different breeds of dogs yet they are still canines and can reproduce!

18. Ryan1990

So they are different species that can interbreed or are variations of the same species? (as all dogs are of the same species - Canis Familiaris but have great diversity within the species). Sorry to be so awkward, just curious :D lol.

19. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

Oh no, not awkward at all!
    They are variations of the same species.
    They can interbreed and produce viable offspring that could also reproduce, just like when two breeds of dog breed and create mixed offspring!

20. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

salvadorian, if red and green iguanas are variations of the same species as you said, maybe, from what i've learned, i doubt one of your info that both canines likedoberman and dalmation can breed just becaused like that.

as far as i know,

ALL canines can breed without having the same species as their mate, some like dobermann are not true species, but mixture of two different species canines.

btw how's your snapper? LOL :D :D

21. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

All breeds of dog are the same species...

but the snapper is fine, he has a pond now!

22. Ryan1990

Yep all dogs from a jack russell to a bull mastif are the same species, just think if physical constrainsts didnt hold them back... what would a cross between those 2 look like?! ;) lol.
    Thanks for the info salvador :D.

23. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

Oh you're very welcome!!!

24. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

WHAT all dogs are same species???
    why didn't anyone divide them to many species?

25. Ryan1990

Because according to molecular/emrybological and biogical species concept they are the same species. They have the same genome, same emrybological development and can all interbreed with eachother. They are only so different in appearance due to selective breeding through humans. At most they could maybe be classed as subspecies as they do not look the same so do not agree with the morphilogical species concept and some breeds cannot interbreed due to physical constraits i.e. a chiuaua chiuaua shown in the link and a great dane cannot mate simply due to being so different in size.