Red Tail burrowing...

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by GeneralODLee, Sep 13, 2005.

1. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

So I did search up on this, but Im assuming that the snakes enjoy burrowing into the aspen we put in his cage after we got rid of the mites. I fed him at lunchtime today, and I got home from work and my wife said she had thought he had gotten out. She finally noticed the bedding kicked up a bit and sure enough, he was completely hidden in the bedding.

Anyone know why the snakes do this? I looked up on the site here and didnt see much, other than a few others snakes like to burrow as well. Thanks for any info guys. :(

-Chris

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i've seen RTB's at the pet store doing this, but never any of my own. do you have any hides setup in the enclosure?

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

yes... we have a half log with bark on the outside of it... im sure you know what im talking about... he usually sits in there coiled up resting... this is the first time I have seen him under the bedding. A few people on chat last night said they do this for security and because it is comfortable and dark. So they generally just like it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

hehe, one of my girls (Egeria) likes to do this. Seska (my other girl) and Loki (the albino boy) are always either inside their caves, or curled up on top of them watching me when I'm doing something in their room. Egeria's only started doing it the past few days since I switched them over to glass tanks with screen tops (they were in plastic cages, but the humidity was getting too high).

I know with corn snakes and many other colubrids, aspen is specifically recommended because they like to burrow, and aspen holds its shape very well. It seems that boas like to do this too. Like most boas, BCI's are ambush predators, so having their body hidden under the substrate with just their head sticking out is not an uncommon position to find one in.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

So does this kind of situation make is kind of unsafe to just reach in and unbury him? I wouldnt want to startle him or have him think I am a meal, because his head is not out of the aspen. Wouldnt want to be subject to a boa bite.. owie.. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

its prob best to leave him be . . . if your boa is burrowing to feel secure, and then you being about 500 times its size reaches into its new home to dig it up and take it out of its secure place might not end up well.

~Will.

12. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

Yes I am really dumb.. lol. Instead of waiting for a reply... I picked him up and he showed me that he didnt appreciate it. :) The bite didnt hurt at all, I am more upset that I upset him. I didnt want to scare him, so lesson learned I suppose.

I hope he doesnt hate me forever now... lol. Will he remember that? or will he forget that it happened?

13. gadd19

gadd19 Member

lol, i bet he'll forget it in time, as you handle him more, and he looks to you for security when out of his home.
    my little rtbII trys to burrow sometimes, but i think he gets bored too easily and sticks his head up, breaking his tunnel,lol its pretty funny....ok, guess you had to be there.
    try getting into the habit of feeding after dark. red tails are nocturnal, meaning they usually sleep durring the day, and look for meals at night.

14. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

ok.... will do. I dont know how I will manage that one... my wife will have a cow if I keep a mouse there all day... she hates mice.. lol.

15. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Most snakes are nocturnal. All but my large corn snake eats better in the late evening.

16. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Corn snakes are crepuscular, not nocturnal.

17. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

well there's a new word for me!!!! Crepuscular, active at dawn and dusk! Thanks for the correction, Axe!

18. Radagast

Radagast New Member

My boa has newspaper so she cant burrow but I do use a hook to touch her everytime I go in to pick her up.So if she is sleeping she wakes up and knows I am coming..She has a very aggressive feed response though she has never yet tried to bite me. I really like the idea of touch training with the hook and Ive heard it works well....

19. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

Is the hook the only good way to rouse them out from under their bedding? He seems to love it under there, and doesnt seem to come out really. It appears that he'll stay under there forever.. lol. Any suggestions on how to be able to handle him like I should, without upsetting him by un burying him?

20. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i would just wait untill you see him not burrowd. if this bci is new, he's trying to feel secure in his new surroundings, best thing is to leave him be for now. but if you must take him out (feedings or cleanings) and he is burrowed, try the hook.

also, last night i had a paper towel roll i was about to throw out, but decided to see if my boa would use it as a hide. this morning, he was all schrunched up inside it. mabye this could work for you and get your boa to stop burrowing all day.

~Will.

21. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

I will have to put one in there... i think he is much to big for it.... but perhaps he will scrunch in as much as he can. :( I did take him out last night though.... I unburyed him first and let him get his bearings... then I put on a glove and picked him out... and after about 30 seconds I removed it. After he had had time to smell me and tell who I was. It was the first time I had handled him since the bite, so I was a bit nervous.... but we did fine. :)

22. herpfreak

herpfreak New Member

BLOWHORN.... :D :D :) :D :p :p :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

23. GeneralODLee

GeneralODLee New Member

lol.... that sounds like an absolutely dandy idea. :)