red tailed boa "stress puff" sound

Discussion in 'Boas' started by pythonguy88, Apr 1, 2010.

1. pythonguy88

pythonguy88 Embryo

So I rescued this BCI, one day back in November from horrible living conditions. This snake was exposed to filthy substrate which was kitty litter, no water, and was kept at 60 degree temperatures. It was living in a rigged jewelry case. This snake was presented with tapeworms and was treated with droncit, and was treated for sinusitis and a suspected RI infection with baytril. The snake was also presented with dehydration and was under weight. He has made a full recovery and has been very healthy. My question is about temperament. I know red tails can be aggressive, and can have been known to posse’s temperaments. This snake clearly was not been handed by the old owners and was mistreated for 3 years before I got to him. He has come a long way health and aggression wise and trusts me greatly, but after a while I sense he becomes stressed. From years of snake keeping I have noticed my snakes make a "puff" as I call it, but it’s just them exhaling air through heir nasal cavity at fast speeds to make this "puff". It usually is once or twice every few minutes after it starts to tell me their stressed and I realize its time to put them up. After putting them away this will stop. Well, like I thought he does it as well, but I think it’s just more pronounced since he is 7 feet and makes louder sounds. He does not have a RI and shows no signs or symptoms of an RI. He was also never exposed to bad conditions in my care so I know this is for sure not the case. The puff happens around 25 minutes after handling, and sooner if I seem to have him around his enclosure. It is very strange because it will start and escalade, then transform to a slight wheeze sound from expelling air so fast and rapid. Again no illness is presented, eats fine, and the husbandry is perfect. I’m mainly wondering has any one else noticed this "puffing" behavior in their snakes, particularly, in BCI or their sub species. Also in case your thinking it’s a hiss this is while the mouth is closed and not being opened to expel air out of the glottis.

Thanks
    Topher