reflection

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Kt_has_her_first_lizard, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Kt_has_her_first_lizard

Kt_has_her_first_lizard New Member

I recently noticed that my uro has been spending alot of time just staring out the glass...and I've noticed he sees his replection in the glass - I now believe he's been staring at himself!! is this bad? and how can I make it so there is no reflection?? could it cause a problem??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

There's not a lot you can do sadly.
    As long as he's not attacking himself there should be no problem.
    If his lights are on then the reflections will be worse but as long as there is some light in room it wont be too bad.
    Maybe he's just keeping his beady eye on you ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

One of the disadvantages of glass tanks is that they can see their reflections sometimes - its not a big deal unless it appears to be really stressing him out a lot. If he is ramming the glass or making threat displays at the "other uro" then that could be problamatic - but just noticing the reflection is not necessarily a problem

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Kt_has_her_first_lizard

he puts his nose against the glass and moves around...and completely weird to say but it looks like hes following the "other uro"...i wish i could give him a friend..maybe he's lonely!?!? cos he doesnt look like he's attacking..but like he's interested in what it is...its very weird..could that have any link as to why he's chasing his tail you think??

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

Uros don't get lonely - nor do they need friends. Reptiles arent social creatures like dogs (for example) and dont thrive on each others company...the presence of another reptile is usually just stressful.

Uros are very active critters so "dancing" on the glass or putting their noses on the glass and running back and forth is a relatively common behavior.

How big is the tank he is in?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kt_has_her_first_lizard

36 x 12 x 18 - i know prolly too small for him - and I did have a 3ft x 3ft x 1ft - for him but it fell apart during the winter in my fathers garage! plus I wasnt sure if it only being 12" high would be high enough ..

12. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Mine does that he is trying to get out. He goes nuts and sometimes stands up against the sides and scratches. It is annoying and makes me feel bad. I have three sides covered. He doesn't do it ALL the time but enough.

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

Yes, the tank is definately too small. Its a shame that your larger tank fell apart but its definately time to invest in a new one. You really want more length - the ideal dimensions would be 4ft long by 2ft wide. The height is not overly important, as long as you can get your lighting and temperatures right. Its easier to heat a lower tank, for sure.

14. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

lol idk mimc about the whole friend thing. i mean technically that may b true but my 2 uros r soo n love i think lol but maybe im just being a transcendentalist. yeah my 2 uros have allways done that moving up from the 20 gallon to the 55 gallon to the 150+ gallon. just run around and try and climb out and all kinda crazy stuf. its almost impossible to keep the inside of the plexi glass n their tank clean.

15. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

if you really feel bad try giving him a small stuffed animal to snuggle with! i have heard of that working before!

16. beefcake

beefcake Member

dogking, you never fail to try to spread bad husbandry ideas around.

sounds like to me hes just in a small tank like mimc said and hes restless. try getting him a larger tank soon and get his temps right and he will settle down

17. Kt_has_her_first_lizard

OMG!! That's amazing you say that - my crazy self has thought of doing that!!! But then I thought maybe I was nuts giving my lizard a stuffy!! But I think I just might!!!