repti carpet?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by leopard_lizard, Apr 9, 2006.

1. leopard_lizard

leopard_lizard New Member

is that what its called? and where can i get it? because i here its better for them. is it easy to clean? how much does it cost roughly?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tim_S

Tim_S New Member

It easy to use, just open up and place on the bottom of your tank. i don't know about cleaning, i just replaced it every month when i used it (i'm using papertowels untill i get the 40g tnak, then i'm going to use slate.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. northerngirl73

northerngirl73 New Member

It's relatively cheap. I just bought some for a 20L from reptilesupply.com for less than $5 a piece. I heard you can wash it in the washing machine. If that's true how could you go wrong?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. fbt_brendan

fbt_brendan Member

yah i live in canada, and i just went to Petsmart and bought some and it was like 20.00 for a 29G, 15$ for a 15G and like 12.99 for a 10G

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shelley1063

Shelley1063 Member

I also buy my repti-carpet from ReptileSupply.com, cheapest prices I've found. And yes, you can throw it in the washer and then the dryer, that's how I clean all of mine. Just buy 2 of them so you always have a clean one ready to go :) I do have slate tile over the carpet on the warm side. I use a hand vacuum on the carpet for "touchup" cleanings, my leos tend to be messy with the Eco-Earth in their humid hides LOL

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. northerngirl73

northerngirl73 New Member

Won't it last longer if you air dry it?? How often do you wash it? I heard that I could wash it once a week no problem. But that I should rerinse it in the sink and only use soap no bleach or fab soft. How long have you had your carpet?

12. musch31

musch31 Embryo

reptile carpet.

Well here's my opinion, yeah it sounds great and all and probably is for beardies and bigger lizards but I tried it with my Geckies and there little toes seemed to get caught and break off and a few even got ripped off and unfortunately even a few broke toes. Also when they go to grab a cricket the Leo's have a hard time pulling the crickets of the carpet. So I'm not a fan so far, unless maybe I got the wrong carpet. I used astro turf for a little while and I don't think the Leo's liked it. They walked on it only to ge a drink of water. I think it might have been to sharp or something.
    Musch31

13. BcRoFt

BcRoFt New Member

Re: reptile carpet.

You have to get the carpet that is single thread only, not the looped kind or your situation will happen.... toes will get lost :cry:

14. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

RE: Re: reptile carpet.

True reptile carpet is essentially just a thick peice of sturdy felt. I bet you could just go and buy some felt at a craft store for 1/2 the price and it'd work just as well. Don't take that as fact, I'm just thinking out-loud here.
    If you carpet material you have has exposed loops of thread, you got the wrong stuff. Return it if you can, if not just throw it out. And as you found out, astroturf also does not work. The material is much too abrasive for their sensitive stomachs.

15. opy01

opy01 Well-Known Member

I use repti-carpet and when I wash it I let it air dry. I have been using it for a while and it works great.

16. junji98

junji98 New Member

i use repti carpet too with no problems. have washed it out and air dried too.

ed

17. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I would definitely NOT get non-reptile felt. I use felt a lot in craft work and here's what can happen - 1, color may bleed 2, very linty (try putting a piece of tape and peel it off and see how much lint comes off) 3, can't handle washing. Even with sturdy felt, it doesn't last half as long as the reptile carpet. You may pay more up front, but in a long run, it's much more economical and safe.

There are differences in the different brands of reptile carpet too. I've found ZooMed ones to be pretty durable and like it better than the ESU ones.

18. adamraithius

adamraithius Embryo

Teeth Catching on ZooMed Carpet - Potential Solution

I just bought a leopard gecko and decided to try ZooMed's Cage Carpet. My leo's teeth have been getting stuck on it at EVERY feeding, which made me realize that the carpet is basically the fuzzy side of velcro, with the gecko's teeth being the hook side. I don't know why the only brand of cage carpet I can buy in Canada is loop-threaded, but I did think of a solution.

Just as you would ruin an underambitious child's velcro shoes, I decided to ruin the velcro effect of the cage carpet by simply singeing the entire thing. Running a pair of open tweezers along the carpet to simulate how my gecko seems to catch her prey, I went from catching on the fabric every pull (pre-singe) to catching on the fabric ~5% of the time (post-singe). I recommend performing the tweezer test to see if you even need to bother singeing the carpet, since I'm sure many brands are fine right out of the package.

With a light singe, the ZooMed fabric still makes a good substrate, and although the melted plastic may be slightly more bristly, I think it's worth it for saving toes and jaws.

Recommendations for this procedure (mostly common sense):

1. Use a mini-torch or zippo, as I used a regular lighter and the top of it melted before I was done

2. Be very careful to never have the flame in the same spot for more than a second, because polymers like cage carpet catch on fire easily and burn hot... in fact, do it over the bathtub just in case :lol:

3. Rinse with hot water and let dry overnight... this will ensure that the carpet is both free of burnt chunks of plastic that could be ingested by your gecko and free of any lingering toxic fumes (the more well ventilated your work area the better).

Post one if you have any problems, and be careful!

19. Rockbttm88

Rockbttm88 New Member

RE: Teeth Catching on ZooMed Carpet - Potential Solution

It's ok to use the carpet. But when you feed, just put down a paper towel. That's what I started doing with Layla so her teeth dont get stuck.

Or if they dont get hand-fed by you, just put paper towels around their food bowl. That dust/calcium makes quite a mess.. and its impossible to clean the carpet without removing it.

20. Shelley1063

Shelley1063 Member

I've been using repti-carpet for almost 2 yrs now without any problems. I've never seen a toe get stuck or injured and after a short time the Leos figure out how to get their insects without biting the carpet too. I have 13 Leos and never had the 1st problem with it.

I do wash them in the washer, but I didn't mention that I run them through twice. Once with the detergent and then a full second wash cycle without any detergent, this way they are thoroughly rinsed. I do throw mine in the dryer, no fabric softener sheets or anything. The carpets have held up great, most have lasted at least a year before I threw them out.

21. babforever

babforever New Member

Its cheap and safe and easy to clean. Mine was about 7, 8 dollars for a 29 gallon. you can wash it in the washing machine and air it out to dry. I always just get some tissue and pick up the poo. and wash they carpet every week or so

22. JuJuBee

JuJuBee New Member

I would ditch the carpet all together and use tile, no worries there!!

23. TRay12

TRay12 Embryo

I have some works great and is washable