Reveiw My Checklist Please?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Demone, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Great improvements, can't wait to see the tank when you have put in the live plants! Good call about getting one anole, you could always just start off with one, and expand your experience in time, if you were interested in breeding etc. Can't wait to see pics of the lil guy when you get him!

Best of luck! Luke.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Demone

Demone New Member

yes, i am getting mor live plants, as i said ib my above post "i'm picking up my live plants monday, two smallish ferns, a couple hens and chicks, and another fern-like plant".

i'm on my way to get the wee guy now.....Whoot!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Demone

Demone New Member

guess what? Plinko is home!

as soon as he hopped out of the contianer he pranced up one of the branches and is now basking under the UVB bulb..he didnt have one at the store... he is still brown, but that is probably just from the stress of the move, i hope.

he's also eyeing up some water droplets haha right now he's on the highest branch of the tank..must be nice, the tank he was in before was only 12" high, with the "basking" area only 6" up. i intend to speak with my boss about all this, so i hope it will be changed soon. gah!

once he's all settled i'll tak some pictures for you all.

Oh! and when shoudl i put some crickets in? should i wait a day before trying to feed him?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

Great news Demone! I guess all this hard work has finally paid off! I would wait a couple of days (2-3) before offering food. Saying that, some do take it straight away.

Can't wait to see pics of the lil guy! Luke

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Demone

Demone New Member

thanks!

i'll put off food for a bit then, gives me time to "prepare" the crickets in the meantime.

he found his basking spot..and is turning green! yay! not completely, but he's not dark brown anymore and his eyes are green, i'm assuming this means he's begining to get comfortable.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

That's great news! I'm sure the lil dude is loving it in there compared to the general 'crampedness' in most petstores... it must be like a palace!

12. Demone

Demone New Member

tehe, well it seems that i picke dup the wrong lizard, Plinko seems to be a GIRL. "she's" almost all green now..and has a very prominat back stripe, the one i had originally chosen had no stripe :/ . but oh well, little Plinko is just as good as girl.

she seemed a little stressed earlier, reverted to a very dark brown. the basking temp had gone down to 78 and the overall was only 70! Ah! no wonder, eep. but, i think it's the heat lamp, may be a bit faulty, so i switched to a newer one, and almost right away Plinko got some colour back. i also spritzed the tank again, i guess she was thirsty! lapped it right up. i put two teeny crickets in as well..and she's eyeing them up..so we'll see if she eats!

i have one more question, how often should she shed? and other than keeping the humidity high, what else do i do during her shed?

i'll keep looking around the forums for more information as well.

thank you all again fro your help and advice! i'm looking forward to watching Plinko grow and enjoy a happy and healthy life.

*edit*

she is alternating between pale brown with green patches and all green. she's even eaten a dusted cricket! yay! hah i thought when my friend told me about cleaning cricket splatter off the walls that is was a joke....well..i just cleaned cricket splatter of my tank walls lol
    -Adrian

13. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

Sounds great. if you can get a picture of the base of "her" tail, we might be able to determine the sex

14. 00luke00

Sounds like you're doing a great job! They usually shed once every month. You may not even see them. They rarely have any trouble shedding, probably due to the high levels of humidity, but if there is a little area of skin that doesn't want to come off, try lightly dabbing a wet q-tip on the effected area. This may prove to be hard, as they usually just run straight away from hands entering the tank lol.

Good luck! Luke

15. plmarsg8

Shedding also depends on what you are feeding her, what temperature and the time of the year. They shed because they are growing out of their old skin and if they dont grow very much, they shed less.

16. Demone

Demone New Member

thanks all!

when i finally find more batteries i'll get pictures, but i don't want to hold her right now for the sexing pic, let her settle for a while :/

oh..and she did eat a cricket, BUT, that was when one had climbed right up the branch near her. so, how do i get the crickets to climb? haha so far, the three others are still huddled in a corner of the tank, whilst Plinko stays up in the branches basking.

oh, i also had to add another strip light, the temp got down to 69'F last night! eek! but the new light hopefully brings that up, Plinko was dark brown this morning becuase of it. she's turning pale green again though, so all is well.

ooh..and she turned a stunning BRIGHT green when she fell asleep, cutest little thing. and i love the way she stretches her back legs out as far as she can when basking. her poop is looking good too!

sorry, i'm very excited with all this!

thanks again!

17. plmarsg8

What I do is put them in a small, shallow lid thing and put it on the branches. My cage is tall and my anoles never go on the ground.

18. 00luke00

I'm sure when Plinko feels hungry, or even more adventurous, she will venture down to the bottom of the tank for some food. The movement of the crickets usually forces anoles to do this. My anoles are almost always up high, but when i throw some crix in... man, i've never seen anything move so fast! The fact that she has eaten one, is a good sign, and i'm sure the amount she eats will increase in the next few days or so! Luke

19. Demone

Demone New Member

excellent thank you all again. plmarsq8, i think i'm going to use your idea! see how it fairs.

she's eyeing them at least, but i guess can't steal herself to move from her toasty basking spot.

and, for now, my last question. i really wanted a pair or multiple anoles, so..if i can be 100% sur eon the sex of both Plinko and the other anole, would it be ok? i'd try for another female. would i still need to do a quarintine even though they came from the same supplyer and store? and were previously in the same enclosure, not a week earlier?

if i can't 100% get a female, i'll let Plinko have a solitary life.

20. plmarsg8

Its best to have a quarantine for the health of your anole. Without a Quarantine, you risk getting your anole some sort of disease. We're here to help you and I am glad that your so interested in the health of your anole. Your anoles went into a great home!

21. 00luke00

I agree with plmarsq8, it really is always best to qurantine, just to be 100% sure. But if you have a spare tank laying around, and cat 100% determine the sex, then why not :) If you need any help on quarantining, don't be afraid to ask. I'm really happy what a great home you are providing for your anole, i'm sure she's VERY happy!

22. Demone

Demone New Member

thank you both, VERY much, you've been a great help!

i think i'll let her be solitary then, becuase there'll always be a doubt there.

she's doing wonderful by the way, ate a cricket last night, and another one just now. she was bright green when i turned her lights on this morning, seemed to thoroughly enjoy her morning misting :) . she puffed her throat a bit too, not a lot, but more than before. she had her head stretched up and out. i didn't notice any pinkish dewlap though..but we'll see. i feel so bad though, she's so thin, i can see her little hip bones! but, i shall soon change that, i will have a chubby anole in no time! haha

again, thank you, and Plinko thanks you.

ooh, and just for future reference, if i ever DO choose to get a second one, what are the proper quarantining steps? i've always got a few empty tanks lying around, but for a quarantine set-up, so you basically make a whole new one with all the lights and such? i'd assume you would, but to be sure.

just in case eh? :D

23. plmarsg8

Once you have a tank, you need to clean it even if its new. Its really a whole new set up but with paper towels as a substrate. I believe you need them in there for a couple of months.

24. 00luke00

I'm just glad i could be of help Demone! And now Plinko is in your hands, im sure she'll live the best life ever!

As for the quarantine set-up, it would have to be as basic as possible and everything would need to be EXTRA clean. Paper towel substrate, something basic to climb on etc. The key really is basic and clean. The reccommender quarantining time is around 2 months.

I'm really glad for you and Plinko. Please post pics as soon as you found some batteries hehe!

Luke

25. Demone

Demone New Member

hello everyone!

been almost two weeks since i posted here.

Plinko is doing very well :] she's up to eight to ten crickets a DAY! is this too many? i put five in the morning, they're gone by the time i get home, and then i put three or four more in then. all are gone before lights out. She's fattening up quite well too :] . green all the time now, very active, jumps all over the tank without hesitation!

she really likes her food dish too, it's suspended in the middle of the branches, about an inch deep, and i place the crickets in there, she's go for a frenzy! haha the occasional one manages an escape, so she does hunt a bit on the ground, leaping down from the branches!

and the somewhat most exciting news (i'll tell the most in just a sec!), she had her first shed with me this afternoon. all went well, a bit left at the tip of her tail and on one nostril, but i misted her again, so let's hope it's all gone by the morning. she seemed quite pleased with herself if i may say so.

NOW...the most exciting..i got a second girl. i had her in with plinko for about a half day...then..i felt stupid..and remember the quaruntine..i felt SO stupid...but i hope it's ok now. Moss, the new girl, is now in her own ten gallon set-up, two weeks into her two month period! haha that shall be a long wait will it not? now..the reaosn i got her...pity..of course.....and before you say anything, this is NOT encourageing bad petstores. these are the last reptiles we will have at the store, so by buying her she won't be replaced by a nothe rlizard that will have to endure it. she was ina tank of males...large, adult, semi-aggressive males. and thus...she managed to have her right fore foot and forarm nipped off. she seems healthy otherwsie. the injury is clean, grown over, no infection i can see and she hunts well.

so..thought i'd update you all! i'm getting MORE plants tuesday..so..pictures then, let's hope! haha