Rosy Boa feeding question...any input welcome!

Discussion in 'Boas' started by MimC, Oct 11, 2008.

1. MimC

MimC Moderator

Hey guys!

I am a new Rosy Boa owner! I have owned corn snakes, kingsnakes, rat snakes, ball pythons and some larger boas for close to a decade...along with a few other various snakes here and there - but this is my first time owning a rosy. I bought a male White water rosy boa at the new england reptile expo last weekend...he is gorgeous! in great health, active (or as active as a rosy can be, lol), and friendly. Being that he is a new animal i am a little paranoid about his well being. I have tried to feed him twice since we got home with no sucess. I first offered a frozen thawed pinkie the day after i got him, assuming he wouldnt eat but wanting to try anyway...when he refused it i put him away and left him alone with no handling at all for a week, i tried feeding him another frozen thawed rodent yesterday and again he turned his nose up.

Im not too worried at this point because its only been a week, but since i'm new to these guys i was wondering if anyone has any tips...i have had to scent my pinkies in the past for other finiky eaters...is this common in rosys? if so, what type of scent do they prefer? I have used chicken broth in the past...

I was told that he was eating frozen thawed consistantly when i bougt him, so i know he is familiar with the prey...and he acts hungry, he is out often and scouting his tank for food. I feed by plcing him in a small container with the pinkie and covering it and leaving him for awhile, he just has no interest.

His set up is as follows: 10gallon tank with aspen shavings, two hides (warm and cool), water dish. Heated with a UTH controled with a rheostat, hot spot of 95degrees.

Im gonna give him a few more days and just keep trying, he acts so good i suspect he will eat with a little time...just wanted to know if anyone had any input. Thanks so much!!

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

Thanks Bruno,

Solomon ate today :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Nice one :angry:

I'm sure they do this on purpose just to get more attention :)
    Can see it in their eyes " Lets wind our Mum up and get her going..hehe "