Russian and Greeks

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by anij34, Sep 16, 2007.

1. anij34

anij34 Embryo

I have a Golden Greek that has made himself right at home here and we love him..Never knew they could have such personalities. We would enjoy getting a Russian as well.

How well do the two species get along? (They are similar size and needs)
    Would we be better off getting a male or a female if we do? (Would males scuffle at all? Would a female breed with him even though they are different species?)

Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rees2

Rees2 New Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. anij34

anij34 Embryo

This still doesn't answer my other question though, which is will two males scuffle?

I am not attempting to breed two species and that is not something that I want. The two species have the same needs in environment and food. *You don't want anymore hybrids?* Thats an odd thing to say. Do you deal with hybrids on a regular basis or are you saying that because you have nothing else to say?

Please show me more than one thread that these would breed. Also, can someone answer my other question?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. anij34

anij34 Embryo

From the searches that I have done, they would unlikely breed. There isn't much info out there on interbreeding, which is something I would want to avoid. So I am not sure how/why you, Rees2, say "you don't want more hybrids". I have found nothing so far saying that they would breed, I have, however, found quite a bit saying they likely *wouldn't* breed.

Also, found the answer to my two males together question. Russian males are very aggressive so it would be safer for me to have a female. Was hoping for answers from the experienced herp owners.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Buslady

Buslady Embryo

I would go with a female, same size. but you could be having to deal with separation later cos of his aggression when he wants some, and she doesn't' They can be butt heads.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BigFire

BigFire Embryo

they will interbred - and how large of an area do you have for them? Also they should be hibernating.