Sand Agama

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by hobotramp, Nov 10, 2002.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Anyone ever ha one? We saw some at a pet store and they look like small beardies, but I can't seem to fin any info on them and the pet store employee didn't seem to know much about them (big shock). They only reach 6" according to the sign over their tank, but we suspect this is not including the tails as the ones there were about 8" at least. They appear to be desert dwelling diurnals. Any idea where to look for more info?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Ack, I 've never heard of 'em, but I'll have a hunt around. All I can really suggest is hitting the search engines :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I tried that too... no luck. I sent an e-mail to the company requesting the scientific name or more info so we can verify what it actually is and care info. As I said, look almost like a small version of a beardie. The sign said 90-100 for basking and they eat crickets and some leafy stuff. Some of them looked okay, some not so good, but one looked great... really active, nice beige colour... but since I'm not sure how they should be... I don't know if that's good or not.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Thanks Axe. I still haven't heard back from the company. The info from U of M sounds like them, but they didn't look quite like that. More beardie-like... body shape, head, face. The one I liked was missing the tip of it's tail, but it looked like a healed injury, not recent. Some of them were a redish-brown body and some had green patches on their faces. It looked like a dark bluish coloured spot on the throat where a dewlap may be. This is really frustrating as it is probably known by some name other than Sand Agama everywhere except this store! Hopefully the hea office will answer with some info.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hobotramp

hobotramp Member