Sav. Monitors Temperment?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by MichaelM, Mar 13, 2005.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I was looking into getting one sometime, but how is there temperment and do they like to be handled? Also, does anybody have any good care sheets because i searched forever on google and found nothing. Would a 60"Lx24"Hx24"W be good for a full grown? And also what would I be including in the tank to make it look good and good for the lizard? Thanks Alot

Also does anybody have any pics of their encloser they could post?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Are these also good for beginer monitor keepers and inexpensive for the lizard itself or what type is? Or do you suggest a tegu or uromayx (sp?)?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they are a very good beginner monitor if you are not looking for something too big. that would be a good sized enclosure for a single adult, but if you could add another foot of height it would be better because they light to burrow and 2ft of dirt as the substrate would be great. you would need a basking spot with a temp of 120F an overall of 85F day and 72Fnight is perfect for a sav. they need a large water dish for them to sit in every now and then, and the will often defecate in it. low humidity should be maintained considering they come from a semi-arid enviornment. hatchlings and juvies can be fed crix and pinkies, and as the get older crix, appropriate sized mice, raw turkey, raw steak, cooked chicken, and chicken liver are all good food. NEVER feed any type of dog or cat food to your monitor they are all way too fatty. hatchlings and juvies should be fed everyday once a day as much as they will eat until they will not readily accept food. adults can be fed every other day. if you are thinking of putting live plants in the tank...forget it. they are natural burrowers and will dig and tear up any live plant put in there. sorry but i dont have any pics of my old sav or how i had his enclosure

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Hey mike. These are one of the most easily tamed of the monitor species, along with blackthroats/whitethroats. You could also go with a type of dwarf monitor, if u have the cash to put out, many of which are great animals (some primarily because if they decide your arm is lunch, they aren't taken it with em) Tegus make great pets from what I hear and from all the great feedback they're getting from most everyone in this forum, but I myself have never owned one, I'm a monitor kinda gal, so wouldnt be able to tell you as much bout the tegs as someone here who's got experience. Savs are infact handleable lizards, depending on how young you are taming it from and how often you handle it. As far as your cage goes, the needs def include a large water dish just deep enough so they can soak in, and you can find creative ways of creating this dish by not using just the standard tuperware or bowl. Also, I use calcium sand to line the cage with because it's good for em when they get a mouthful when catchin food, and also because it looks sweet against their color (i use the black sand, and i got a red backround to contrast the color) Of course a hiding place is ideal, that too you can get creative with. What I did w/ my enclosure is put a palm tree like plant behind the watering dish so it looked like an oasis in the black desert and gave shade over it. Id give more ideas that u could prob use, but im sure ive taken up enough space already :D Feel free to im Good luck
    rpdemello@aol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that is not good for them at all, and can harm their digestive track. use dirt, its broken down easier, natural for them, and contains some minerals in case they do accidentally injest it

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ryzard

ryzard New Member

You're right, I just learned this today that the calcium sand is not the best choice. As I have never ever had a problem with it personally since I do own larger lizards, it is not necessarily harmful with a bigger animals digestive tract. But I never took into account the dye as well that goes into it (if getting a strange color) I stand corrected

12. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

I think sav are 1 of the best all around monitors.Budda(my savanna) is awsome. I got lucky when i got him, he was realy calm and docile.Dont get me wrong i still had to work with him just not as much. I hold him every day and have a room all for him. The cage size you talked about is just fine.Savannas make a great pet for 1st time monitor and for anybody.