Savannah Monitor Questions!

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by RobbieReptileMan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. RobbieReptileMan

RobbieReptileMan New Member

Recently I found out that I found a love for savannah monitors and I am waiting till the next reptile show to get one but I do have a few questions about them like " are they nice and tameable" and " how big should there cage be" and also ome good taming tips because I'm sure no one wants to have 4 foot aggressive monitor! I've looked through tons of sites and can't find exact answers so anything would help! Thank you!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

I don't know a tonne about them, but I was given the advice by a reptile specialty store to try handling them beforehand, a young one, and if you can a full grown one, just to see if your up for it. Seemed like good advice.

I would check www.reptilescanada.com, there are some users on there that are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to savs.

Definitely try and find people that have them and talk to them about the animal, they do require alot of care. Its like having a dog... only more work. Definitely not a reptile for beginners (not saying that you don't have experience as a keeper, just going off what you said in your post).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. RobbieReptileMan

RobbieReptileMan New Member

That's what I was thinking to, try and hold some at the show and see how they act and no offense taking lol I've kept snakes for a while now and I have had leopard geckos and bearded dragons but I'm up for something new and challenging!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. fredthebosc88

fredthebosc88 Embryo

Hello I have a savannah monitor! His names fred. I got him off a guy when he was 12 inches long.He is just under 1 year old and 20 inches long, I am currently building a large 4 by 3.5 by 6 foot cage that had plexiglass windows on the front and will be stained and finished. I will add all kinds of foliage and a water fall system eventually. I'm so pumped to build it with my Dad! I Think savannahs are very intelligent.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. fredthebosc88

fredthebosc88 Embryo

...also they reqire alot of handling and attention, atleast 1 and a half hours daily, when you first get one, leave him alone for 2 -3 weeks, let him get used to his environment. Then slowly start sticking your hand in and keep it in fist, let him smell it and get used to your sent, then after hes comfortable a few days later with that, gently pick him up and let him walk around on the floor and look around, be careful of dangers like pets, poisons, anything that could fall near him, electrical outlets, ect. Always be slow and relaxed and keep an eye on him, when he`s sleeping or basking: leave him alone. Just some good tips, temps in hot area needs to be 90-130F, and cool spots 80F.