savannah Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by jflizi1458, May 15, 2009.

1. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

So the weather is nice and my Savannah could use the exercise, fresh air, and sunshine.... Anyone take there's outside with a harness and a leash?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I would not use a harness and leash, at least not till it got used to wearing one indoors first.
    I would hold it for now until it gets used to the wide open space, it may freak out.
    What sort of temperature are we talking of here, may be fine for us humans but sav's are desert creatures. He certainly will enjoy the sun on his back and may sit quietly in yours hands/arms but be fully prepared for him to jump or run.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

yeah, and who knows how easy it will be just to put a harness on him...I have a feeling he won't like it! lol
    we've had one 90f day so far and the summers are usually 85-90+ so I'm thinking he might enjoy sunning himself

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wearentfree420

wearentfree420 Member

You could always make a cheap homemade harness.

All you have to do is go to a crafting store and buy some sort of like cloth string and a clamp( like the one on drawstring bags and what not) and you tie a knot on one end and then put the other end through the clamp and adjust it and clamp it.
    It's best to put the loop right in front of the back legs, better control and more comfortable for the lizard.

Just letting you in on a cheap alternative ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

I do use a harness and leash. Depending on how big your lizard is, it may or may not fit into a lizard harness. My savanna doesn't and I use a correctly sized and fitted cat harness instead. The first couple times I put it on my savanna it wasn't east...but he loves it now and lets me put it on him with no trouble.
    Alway's supervised (of course) on nice summer day's I'll take my savanna outside for an hour after work every day. It's great exercise, natural sunlight, and mind stimulating. Monitors are very smart lizards and keeping their mind and body entertained is important.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

I never thought about if he was too big lol! He's about 2' and he's not fat [​IMG]
    How did you get a "correctly sized and fitted cat harness" ?

That sounds like a great idea but I gotta tell you the craft stores near me are pretty expensive lol but if I cant find anything in the store that I like I might give it a try

12. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

I brought him in to the pet store with me. A store employee showed me how a couple different types adjusted and we sat there and tried a couple on him, adjusted them and found the right sized one that fit nicely on him. He didn't really like having them put on and off in the store, but he's had the harness and leash for about a year now and I have no trouble putting it on him or taking it off.

Attached Files:

13. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

wow he's a really good looking fellow, much bigger than mine lol
    I didn't know if I could take him into the store... maybe I'll see how they feel about it tonight

14. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

So we ended up taking him into the store but all they had that would fit him were ferret harnesses so that's what we got him... Here he is on the ride home
    [​IMG]
    We let him down in the house and he wanted to go back outside lol
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He investigated the downstairs and upstairs, we gave him some crickets, and let him soak in the tub...so he had a very event full evening

15. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

aww, what a curious fellow, how cute! hope you enjoy the adventurous walks!

16. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

thanks! I hope we will

17. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

The other day was REALLY nice out and so we finally took him to roam around outside! He loved it! He was in a big hurry to check out everything...not to mention every bush in the area lmao! Had to pick him up and relocate him a few times because he was so insistent on going into a bush! Also he started eating eggs whole the other day so we took one out there as a special treat. He wanted to go up and down the steps and he got a lot of exorcise...he also wanted to walk down the sidewalk! I was amazed...thought he'd just sit there (that's what he does in the house when you put the harness on him) now the weathers crappy again, I can't wait till the rain goes away and we get some more hot sunny days