Savannah monitors growth rate

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by scotyjp, Mar 23, 2009.

1. scotyjp

scotyjp Embryo

gents,

I would like to compile information on the Savannah monitors growth, since I have a pair that limits my graph. I you do own a sav, please post any information you have regarding age, sex (if known), length and weight.

my male 31 inches, 4 lb 3 1/4 oz.
    my female 27 inches 2lb 14 1/8 oz.
    both weights on a digital scale (post feeding)

thanks

Scott

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Scott,
    This wont help your graph much but I will post anyway.
    The 2 sav's I've had were both rescues, sadly I lost them both.
    Dave was 2 years old but only 10" long, he had 3 or 4" of tail missing due to being eaten by crickets, followed by infection, result tail was amputated before I got him. He weighted 1/2lb.
    He had been fed solely of a diet of canned dog and cat food, resulting in serious liver and kidney damage, he became ill so had to stop his suffering and had him euthanized.
    Spot was also around 2 years old, exact date never established. He was about 22" long and I got his weight up to about 2lbs.
    He came to me riddled with cryptosporidia, we managed to clear it using Septrin, this is a children med for treating crypto in kids. He then developed what the vet and I believe was a growth or tumor on or very close the lung. Whether it was the crypto that weakend him or was the cause, we will never know. He became weak and would never have got through an operation so again we decided to end any suffering.
    Like I said it doesn't help your graph but explains how I was involved with sav's.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

WOW, My savanna sounds like a fat ass! It's about 2.75 feet and weighs 7lbs. After feeding who knows! My monitor is healthy looking and vet checked though. He is muscular though in the legs and chest...I make sure my monitor gets plenty of exercise.