savannah monitors

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Agro, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Agro

Agro Embryo

im geting a 6inch savannah and i was windering if a 40 gallon would work if not what size should i use??? :( :blink: :blink: :blink: and i am verrry happy because my grandpa is letting me use his shead for my reptiles so that means i can get a few more after my savannah (probably a crested gecko) :D :D B) B) :D :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

a 40 gallon is plenty big for a 6 inch savannah.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

A 40 gallon is fine for a baby, obviously you'll need a much, much larger one in the future. I started my baby off in a 20 gallon and that worked fine...but he's 2 years old now and in a 150 gallon.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. deydey

deydey Member

I would love one of these lizards.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

40 gallon breeder, Im guessing thats what it is, would be just dandy for a 6" sav. The only thing I would advise against is using a screen top as is commonly done when housing reptiles in fish tanks.

A lot folks dislike using fish tanks for monitors. To me a cage is just a box. Whether its made of glass, metal, wood, whatever. Thats all it is, a box. Its how you set that box up that matters.

Screen tops allow all your heat and humidity to escape. Not a good thing. I would suggest making your own top out of plexiglass with perhaps a few small vent holes drilled on the cool side. Ideally I like to mount the lights inside the cage. If you dont like that idea than I would just cut a small hole and place a dome light over it. Could screen the hole to prevent escapes, of either insect prey or the monitor they can tricky :(.

It will be much easier to get your temps and humidity right with a closed top. Baby monitors dehydrate easily.

I would do some reading on proper caging for monitors. Plenty of good stuff out there. An excellent (and inexpensive) book on the subject is The Savannah Monitor Lizard by Daniel Bennett and Ravi Thakoordyal. Good reading. Pretty much the best book on savs out there MHO.

If you have specific questions lemme know Ill be glad to help if I can. Or at the very least point you in the right direction.