Saving money $$$$$$?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by beardyboy, Oct 18, 2006.

1. beardyboy

beardyboy New Member

Saving money $$$$$$?

Are there any ways that I can save money on reptile products and food?
    I am not saying that I can not provide for them but it would be nice if I can save some money on reptile food and supplies. By the way just to let you know, I have an iguana and a bearded dragon.
    If you guys (or girls) have any ways you save money on reptiles I would be more than happy to hear them. :idea: :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. RowingMunkeyCU

RowingMunkeyCU Embryo

there's not much you can do to save money... the only things i can think of are to build your own enclosure, and grow your own food. having a roach colony can save you a fair amount of money, after the initial expense of the roaches to start out. growing your own greens can save you too. for calcium powder, ive heard of taking egg shells and grinding them up, but i havent tried it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. catalyst

catalyst New Member

Use a halogen flood light for heat - it's cheaper than the "specialty" reptile heat lamps, works just as well, and puts out more heat per watt than normal household lightbulbs. I had a 150w household bulb in my tank and when it blew i replaced it with a 75w halogen floodlight which puts out more heat while sucking back less energy.

Other than that, you can try to grow your own food and establish your own breeding colonies of live feeders.
    -- Catalyst

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. beardyboy

beardyboy New Member

cool thanks

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

You can also furnish your tank with items found outside and properly erraticated of bugs (ie. find a branch outside and bake it in your oven at 300 degrees for about an hour), you could also furnish the vegitation in the cage with fake plants from the dollar store. You could make hides out of cardboard boxes and hot glue (dont use tape!) You could also find cheap slate at a home improvement store to make a basking spot for your reptiles... um.... use bottle tops or cheap $1 ashtrays as feeder bowls... you can use small tupperware containers for the water bowls if you give them water bowls.... you can make fake rock walls with styrofoam and grout and sealer....
    hm, thats all i can come up with off the top of my head... hope that helps :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DracoTheSnako

DracoTheSnako New Member

We go to reptile expo's and buy things straight from the suppliers, cutting out the middle man. You can often used things cheap too. Last time we were there we could get heat leats 3 for $10, and bought some used fixtures that work perfectly for $5 each. Thermometers aren't badly priced either, and if you have a reptile that eats mice you get them straight from the breeder.

I also got a little crab food dish (with a palm tree attatched) for about $2 that I use for my crestie's baby food.

12. DracoTheSnako

DracoTheSnako New Member

Also wanted to add that here you can get long bamboo sticks for about $1 at the dollar store but they are bad quality and dyed, when if we go to a specific gardening store you can get longer pieces for about 15 cents a stick, not dyed and not fake or crappy. We used a saw to cut off different sizes and a hot glue gun to make bamboo jungle gyms so to speak.

13. Reptile Savings

Reptile Savings Embryo

Hi folks, this is a topic near & dear to my heart. I've recently started a blog dedicated to this topic and welcome you to check it out. I do produce deal roundups weekly (I have 5 iguanas!), post about Amazon's best deals on heat & lighting bulbs, and in general try to share the best deals available. I receive no compensation or sponsorship so it's not biased except based on my own experiences. www.reptilesavings.com if you're interested. Best wishes!

14. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Yeah. We have chickens and we grind their egg shells for calcium powder and give it back to the chickens. I haven't tried it with any reptiles though.