SCARED!!!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Shotgundanl, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Shotgundanl

Shotgundanl Embryo

I'm a new lizard owner. I've got a new alligator lizard that i caught named King Brute. He's big, but he isn't very bright. Anyway, he's really scared of me and gets as far away as possible when I'm putting crickets in his cage. Is there anything I can do to make him less scared of me? Maybe put something on my hands or simply try not to get near him as much as possible? :shock: :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mario9272

mario9272 Embryo

Hey Shotgundanl. I also have a Alligator Lizard that was wild caught.. If you have MSN or Yahoo Messenger could you add me at mario9272@hotmail.com or mario9272@yahoo.ca. Where did you caught it. One thing you should do if you caught it in the last week leave it alone for a while. try and make the Cage as natural as possible. The best type of cage are fish tanks with a screen top. make sure you DON'T PICK IT UP BY THE TAIL. It will fall off and regrow back but not as long. Please write back or add me.

Mario Escamilla

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

you caught him and pulled from from his natural home =P of course he'd be scared of you. That's only natural.

I say after giving him time to settle in, put your hand in the tank every once in a while (no real reason, play with the substrate. Play 'catch the cricket' or 'uncover the escapee mealworm'). Then start to pet the lizard with progression. Don't jerk your hand back if he runs off. And keep in mind that at first he's going to think of your hand as a predator.

Then you're at least a handful of steps closer to making him comfortible with your hand in the tank. :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reako45

reako45 Member

Hey, Shogundan and Mario9272, like you guys I'm also into alligator lizards. I have 3 babies, all wc. Hey, three alligator lizard owners, is that enough for our own forum? Good luck Shogundan. If your Allie's big it's obviously an adult, and may take longer to settle into captivity. I'm GUESSING it may take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. Hey, I'm interested to know where you caught your guy also. I live in the San Fernando Valley (SoCal), and caught mine @ the Sepulveda Basin. My 3 babies are all about 5" long now. What kind of set ups do you guys have?

reako45

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shotgundanl

Shotgundanl Embryo

Thanks alot for al the information! :D :D I've got two allies, Kng Brute and Yella. I caught them both outside in my back yard. I caught Yella in the same way as the King, but he doesn't seem to have the same problems w/ fear. :| :?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mario9272

mario9272 Embryo

Hey reako45 and Shotgundanl where did you guys capture them?? My are Northern Alligator Lizard I had 7 of them that, my friend captured and then did not want them and gave them to me. My mom got me a 33 gallon fish tank ( 3 feet long 1 1/2 feet high and 1 foot width ( I think )) at the dump for 5 dollar. Then My one female had 7 babies. None of the Pet store wanted them. So I offered them to The Wildlife Park in town. They took all of the beside one. which I still have and I have had for two years in the end of April. My friend caught them at the outside of Kamloops B.C. I have some knowledge of them, plz do not be scared to ask question, there is not that much info on them.

Mario

12. IggyDragon

IggyDragon Embryo

Alligator Lizard Lifespan

Does anyone know what the average lifespan of a northern alligator lizard is? I have an alligator lizard that I caught from the wild- my iguana was the one who found it when I was taking him on a walk. He was sickly, dangerously skinny and didn't move at all. Now that I've had him for about 2 months, he's healthy, active, and just had his first shed since I've has him. Cute little bugger. Wish I knew how old he is.

Cassie

13. jabeebe

jabeebe Embryo

mario9272,
    What do live birth N. Alligator Lizards look like? My boyfriend caught a lizard a couple of weeks ago and suddenly there are several worm-like things in the water. She seems to suddenly be coming out from her rock-cave and almost guarding that area. What do you think?

14. reako45

reako45 Member

There's not much info on the lifespan of Alligator lizards, but plenty of info on everything else. I read on one of those websites that they can take up to 2 years to reach sexual maturity, so, I'm guessing their lifesapn may be in the 10 to 15 year range.

reako45

15. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

what does an alligator lizard look like and where do they live you guys are making me feel jealous :D

16. kathrynmw1

kathrynmw1 Embryo

My daughter just got an alligator lizard four days ago. This is our first lizard and we need lots of help so anyone who has info please help.
    First I know it's a northern and not a southern one. It was found in western Washington in the puget sound area. It is about 6 inches long and only about 1/2 inch wide (if that) at it's wides point. Any ideas how old/young it might be?
    It is very tame, falls asleep in your hand and clings to you with toes and tail when you try to put it down.
    We bought a small container for it from the pet store. It's about the size of a shoe box but it's plastic and has vents in the sides and lid. Put some dirt and bark that we also bought, a rock from the yard and a small sprout of salal bush that was sprouting in my back yard. I kept the roots on so it would grow maybe. We had an old lizard water dish that was in the bottom of a bug box we bought used a while back and so thats the set up we are useing.
    So far we have only been able to get it to eat mini meal worms. My daughter warms them up and then holds them between her fingers and it snaps at them but never bites my daughters hand. I am wondering how often and how much do you feed it? It ate nothing the first day, six mini mealworms the second, none the third, and today it has only ate three. Is this enough? Should they eat every day, every other, once a week? Help!

Thanks
    kathrynmw1