Screened top?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Crazy_Fool1, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

Does anyone know why everywhere recommends having a screened top on cricket housing (like a big rubbermaid container but replace the solid top with a screened one.) what good does that do?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. J-Shrad

J-Shrad Embryo

That would definately give the crickets some ventalation and light. I would suggest doing that.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

or you could just drill little holes all over the container. Holes at the bottom and the top help with ventalation.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tmx

tmx New Member

Hmm, are you saying why not just leave the top completley off? Or putting the top on and leaving no ventilation? Many people have no top what so ever as long as they have a container big enough that the crickets won't climb out. It's all up to general prefrence basically.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

no, what if i were to leave the top on, i mean its not air tight and wouldn't that control the smell? or do they need fresh air and light to survive?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Yup, they need fresh air to survive.
    Also, just think, if they were able to survive un a closed container, major gas attack when you go to open the lid!!

Actually poor ventilation is one of the ways cricks die. They need lots of fresh air.
    Light, on the other hand is optional - as a matter of fact, they'll also die in direct sunlight.
    (Our cricks stay in the closet)

12. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

ok then screen takes too much time... drilled holes it is... ill just use my 1/16th bit about a thousand times lol... i hear if u keep cricks cages temperatures down they live longer

13. tmx

tmx New Member

Depending on how you do it, screen can take two seconds. If you buy the aluminum mesquito screen which is only a few dollars for a HUGE roll, all you have to do is cut like 6 inches more than you need and then just crease it at 2 sides and it will stay on pretty good. Thats how i have one of my ten gallon tanks. Not like a cricket cage needs to be fancy. And the better the ventilation the more you keep the smell down. But however you would like to do, drilling holes takes forever...

14. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

lol ya i cant get aluminum mesh small enuff to keep the crix in so ill try the drilled holes then if that still doesnt work ill put out the fibermesh screen and do sum carpenter work... but i just built my whole tank by meself, cut the glass, thew base, the lid, stapled the screen.. and glued it all together to my specific size... wish i could put a pic of it up here sumwhere...

15. dan420

dan420 Member

just dont put a lid on it, if it is deep enough the crix cant jump out, thats what i do

16. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Carefull with the fibermesh screen. The crix can chew through it and get out.