Sealing wood

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Fiche, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I tried searching, but can't seem to find the answer. I'm planning on using OSB for part of my custom built enclosure, and I've been told it is best to seal the wood. What type of a sealant do I use? Could I perhaps use a non-toxic stain or something?

The sealed wood will come in direct contact with my leo, so I want to make sure the sealant is waterproof, non-toxic, and won't release anything upon heating.

Thanks in advance.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

I used Polycrylic, a water based clear sealant, on exposed/unfinished pine in my last build. So far I've been happy with it. It's in crested gecko enclosures so it sees plenty of humidity a few times a day.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Polycrylic would have been my suggestion as well as I've used it on a couple of enclosures and various other projects. Just make sure you have some 220 grit sand paper to sand in between coats as water based finishes like this raise the grain. A coat or 2 of Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze could also be used along with the Polycrylic. The Polycrylic will give the wood water protection and harden it a bit but the Krylon will seal it and harden it much better, it just doesn't have the water repellent qualities. Plus it gives a killer glass effect when finished this way.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for the advice guys. How long do I need to let the sealants air out?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TNTPET

TNTPET Embryo

First, stains don't seal, so that's never an option. Personally, I would recommend a floor finish, such as the kind used for gym floors. You can apply it thick, and it's really durable. Basically, the thiker the finish, the more water resistant it is. (Since no finishj is really completely water-proof, it's just more resistant the thicker it is.)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I know of at least 1 animal-safe polyurethane: http://www.ecowise.com/product_info.php?cP...45ddd67586ce8b5
    Never used it, but I've talked to a few people that have and were very happy with the results. Not sure how easy it is to get it, as I've never tried. But it would appear to be sold at several on-line retailers.
    Assuming you let it air out until no fumes/vapors remain, any polyurethane is probably safe. Just make sure all fumes are gone. Being such a small and enclosed area, any vapors will be intensified.

12. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Sealing wood

I usually let everything air for 48 hours but it depends on the sealant as well.

13. Bullitt

Bullitt Embryo

RE: Re: RE: Sealing wood

There is a stuff called Drylock, its actually for masonary walls and stuff to seal them but it seals wood very good

14. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks, I'll take a look into the other things mentioned here.

15. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I personally have used a whack of different sealants on the various cages I have built, I once even used glue to seal sap leaks after the off-gassing period was over. As DaCubs said, any polyurethane seems to work, the key is allowing it more than enough time to off-gas. People are always in a rush to move their reptiles into newly completed homes, but a 3 week off gasing period is IMO the best thing you can do for a new cage and for your peace of mind. My best experiences have been with the water proof polyurethane that is used for boats. Price was reasonable, and it is super durable and water proof. I use 3 coats and off-gas for about 2-3 weeks (again, IMO it is all about the off-gasing).

As for stain, I have one cage that I stained first before sealing. If you like the look of stained wood then a quick coat before you seal is an option, but this is only for looks, not durability. I personally like the look of pine with a few coats of polyurethane, so I don't stain anymore for cages going in my reptile room. However, I am building another cage for my living room right now, and this one I will prob stain to match the furnature in there. IMO, in terms of stain, it depends on where the cage is going and if you want it to match existing furnature.

O, and buy the big can of what ever you use - that way you will have lots left over to build the crestie enclosure that your boyfriend doesn't need to know about :D

16. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

haha, jenn you made my day, thanks. :) I'm still working on that crestie, but my boyfriend is going out of town for 6 months so that's really messed with my plans of convincing him. :( Oh well, there's plenty of time. Seems like there will always be new little ones available too.

Back on topic though, If I were to use paint instead of stain and then just seal that with the polyurethane would it matter what type of paint I used? It seems like as long as I use a few coats of poly whatever and allow for lots of off-gasing time then it won't really matter.

17. sarae

sarae New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Sealing wood

Remember.. it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission!

once it's there and he comes home and sees it, he'll fall in love and be too enamoured to be mad :)

18. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Sealing wood

Haha, I've really been considering that sarae. Money's going to be a little tight while he's gone though, and it just wouldn't be the responsible thing to do. Besides, he already told me if one got in the house he would flush it. I think they creep him out, lol. He's not really serious, just being cute really. :( I might have two cages lined up for a reasonable price though, so I'll have the housing out of the way. That's a start :)

19. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Sealing wood

LMAO, I shall have to remeber that one!

As for paint, I should think that if you allow the paint to off-gas first before sealing it, it should be fine. I would use a water based paint, not an oil based though, but with water-based my only concern would be heat - I know that some paints bubble and peel under high heat conditions, so double check before you buy it. "Food-safe" paints (paints that you can use on a table or counter where they will come into contact with food) are usually oil based though. Just ask about heat-resistance and whether or not it is food-safe before you buy anything. My favourite game is to go to Home Depot and tell one of the guys there "I am making a reptile cage and..." they are usually very helpful and they usually have a good laugh (I guess they don't deal with reptile cages on a day to day basis). I actually had one guy give me free tile b/c he thought it was soooo cool that I was using it for a reptile cage :(

20. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

water based, heat safe, and food safe. Thanks Jenn, some good key words to look for at the store. I don't usually talk to the guys at Home Depot, but maybe I should try next time. :p

21. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

You may also look for low-VOC or zero-VOC paint, this is the safest stuff possible for both your herps and yourself. Plus theirs no need for a 3 week off-gas if your using something like zero-VOC natural paint made from powdered casein or similar substances.

22. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

low-VOC or zero-VOC paint. I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Next time I'm at Home Depot I'll have to see if they have some.